Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

What I Didn't Get at the Grocery Store

I tell you, this package almost leapt into my cart.
I went into Kings for Mighty Leaf tea, so I can make some nice iced green tea at home.

I went in with good intentions.

A cartful later, including toilet paper, crushed tomatoes, mini ravioli, two peanut butter Clif bars, mozzarella balls, bananas, milk and more, I had to make some serious detours to avoid sweet pitfalls.

Successfully stared down:
  1. Dare brand pumpkin spice creme sandwich cookies. They looked so good, were on sale, and Punchy loves the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. But I thought of Patsy's voice. If you bring junk into the house, you will end up eating it. And kids don't need it.
  2. Entenmann's goodies. Tough to push past those sometimes.
  3. Ronnybrook Farm Dairy chocolate milk in glass bottle. It was calling my name, begging me to pour it into a tall glass at home.
  4. barkTHINS in Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed with Sea Salt.  Those looked great and are fair trade and dark chocolate, after all, not as much sugar. I've had the mint ones and they are so good. The sea salt here almost sent me over the edge. In the end, it's a bag of candy, I thought. And I'm not buying a bag of candy. I will eat the whole thing.
Just so this isn't a post that isn't helpful, here is what I have been snacking on, but probably too much. Go on green:
  • GORP  Good old raisins and peanuts, mixed together. [Punch-approved.]
  • Brown Cow yogurt, maple flavor, not too much sugar.
  • Ice water. [Punch-approved.]
  • That One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream from nytimes.com, with deep, dark, unsweetened cocoa added. [Punch-approved.]
  • Cheese. Not too healthy. Part-skim mozzarella or Cheddar.
  • Very dark pretzels from Whole Foods, dipped in salsa.
Talk to you later. Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. The staring down takes its toll. You did great.

    I stopped at Whole Foods last night needing snacks for book club at work this morning. I got boxes of mini muffins and cupcakes. Not actually tempting to me. But the ice cream aisle was pulling me as if reeling me in like a fish. I stayed away, and saw a grilled pear with honey on the salad bar. Perfect! I thought and boxed it up. But the long line for express checkout is packed with goodies on every side. Most I've seen and so not hitting me as needed. Until... (You knew something was coming) there were Englisj toffees with sea salt and DARK chocolate-up till now they've only had milk chocolate, not my thing. So just before paying I grabbed a container, and the container is much much lighter this morning. I think they go to the office this morning (but they are so good...)


    Xoxo. Yours in mutual struggle.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note, Nan! And wow, book club at work in morning? That's a great way to fit it in. Hope you read something good. The toffee you got sounds delicious. I don't view you as overweight, truly, but if bringing it to work was the right choice then so be it. I find so many perils at the store. But I don't think I can stop without overindulging. Last night at back to school nite, I didn't have a single butter cookie or piece of chocolate and the PTA put out a nice big table. That's a big change for me. Love Alice

    ReplyDelete