Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

+CHANGE

OREOS ARE VEGAN photo by John Komar via delish.com.
I just went to CVS to get Punch's RX refill and while waiting, browsed around and plucked items so I could cash in on my CVS grocery coupons, saving well over $10.

I noticed this +CHANGE:

I am getting much better at not wandering the cookie aisle and haplessly/helplessly/hopelessly tossing a package of Oreos, Fig Newtons, Nutter Butters or even trail mix with mock M&Ms into my cart--"for our daughters." 

I still falter sometimes [usually with the Tate's chocolate chip cookies Punch favors, from Kings] but far less often.

Simply put, if I buy it, I will eat it. 

The package might last until Punch and Figgy return from school [Oreos are vegan] but then again, it likely will not. 

I will inevitably eat most of it.

It is a battle. The voice inside me reminds me again and again that Punchy's ADHD meds suppress her appetite; her dr. monitors her weight closely and wants her to gain--thus, cookies. We see him every three months. Her weight is low on the growth chart. 

Yet she is strong and fast and smart, so I will continue to focus on normal foods that will not be tempting for me, such as plump dried apricots, cashews, steak, corn on the cob, chocolate milk, berries--and Saltines she can spread PB on. 

She does not take the meds if it is not a schoolday, so she usually enjoys eating on the weekends, vacays, holidays.

This is a sea change for me. As a slim young twentysomething, I would buy one of those single-sleeve boxes of Fig Newtons when I went to do my laundry at the Busy Bee Laundromat in Bradley Beach. The owner, Kathleen, very petite, might eat a couple of them but.....

Change is hard. So hard. I remember Oreos as a rare childhood treat, driving up to the Catskills to visit friends, Dad driving, Mom turning around to hand me a couple from the cellophane sleeve.

I want to sweeten my girls' lives. But a cranky, vicious mother high on sugar and exhausted from being overweight will not sweeten their lives. Such a mother could poison them.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.

Signed, Oreo againster

4 comments:

  1. Forward movement of any kind is Good, congrats! Working like a dog and eating too much continues in MD...
    But we persist!❤️
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, your workload is heavy but your views are light and bright...grateful for you. Amp up the ice water if that helps? Xo to MD

      Delete
  2. Ditto here about the hard work and overbearing going on locally.... but you are right, it seems to me, to focus on what you buy and bring into the house. I try to think to myself when I look at the sweets, or even just pull into Trader Joe’s lot, “what are my intentions?” If it’s in the house, it’ll get eaten, most likely by me, most likely in large amounts at once. Better not to buy.

    Hang in there.


    Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nan. Yes, what are my intentions? Be present. And for me, do not drive car thru life when under the influence of sugar. Xoxo hope your doggy is ok

      Delete