Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Forgot to Post Last Night!

This was the day from 4:30 on and I forgot to post. That’s not like me.
  • 4:30 Drag self up from couch nap. [In my defense, I had walked near an hour w Rach.] Toss Rose Gold laptop, phone, both power cords, Punchy’s gymnastics leotard and a few kitchen gadgets in tote.
  • 4:35 Add $25 to my online Starbucks app, which earns me rewards/free items w accumulated purchases.
  • 4:40 Text fellow mom, who is at work, to be sure it’s ok to get her girl a tall [small] Frappuccino, no caffeine.
  • 4:50 Drive to school to get Punch and her sweet friend, V., from Sister to Sister, an all-girl mentoring program that I LOVE ❤️ for its conscience and goals. Instead of 5 p.m. dismissal [my mistake], the girls come out at 5:22.
  • 5:26 Zip to Starbucks on Church Street, overhearing Sister to Sister talk from back seat. Then Punch borrows phone to show barista secret-recipe Mermaid Frappuccino, which involves green matcha powder for a seaweed effect. 🧜‍♀️ 🧜‍♀️ We order two and also two venti ice waters, for Punch and me.
  • 5:50 Drop V. and her 🧜‍♀️ off and borrow a couple pencils--her good dad even sharpened them--so Punch could do math homework on way to Monday night gymnastics. I meant to bring a pencil from home but ran out of time. And there may have been one buried at bottom of my stuffed tote, but it was so much easier to ask V.’s dad.
  • 6:15 Arrive in Fairfield for class, which runs from 6 to 8.
  • 6:15 to 8 Write about kitchen tools--a fish turner, a sushi knife, etc.--with pauses to watch Punch swing and tumble and execute beautiful back handsprings in her turquoise and black metallic leotard. Conjure up colorful words to make shoppers want/need fish turner.
  • 8:15 Drive home, listening to Z100, Punchy’s fave radio station. I like learning song and singer names from her--she knows all. 🎀 🎢 Due to roadwork, the 20 min tops drive takes us one hr. Traffic crawls. Ugh.
  • 9:15 Hustle Punch into shower, w a little help from Dan, and distract her from Figgy and her friend, always enticing.
  • 9:25 Cook small flat-iron steaks and boil macaroni from Kraft box. Look at ingredient list, so many chemicals, and just top pasta w butter, milk and shredded Cheddar.
  • 9:50 Load sinkful of dishes while Punch sits nearby taking stab at book report but mostly belting out "Hamilton" tunes on Spotify.
  • 10 Up she goes for bed but darts for Fig and friend again. I holler.
  • 10:30 She falls asleep after reading in bed.
  • Til midnight, talk a little to Dan, stroll Insta, refill reservoir of hated CPAP machine w distilled water. Brush teeth. Set alarm for 7:15 to go over math w Punch and then reset for 7:30. Too tired.
I know many people juggle much more, including my pretty friend, Claire, fit and fashionable, shepherding four adorable, polite young children; Anne/Moey/Kim, w thriving careers and older kids; Rachael, wise and busy with work and family and healthy home cooking; Jessica, w two little boys; and my friend/grace role model Jean, who raised six. [Her youngest is Figgy’s age.]
But I am old.
Have a great day.

7 comments:

  1. oh honey, if I had a little one at home, I would be bat-shit crazy with crazy McCrazy craziness. I have endless admiration for how well you hold it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha lol Kim. Bat-shit crazy! πŸ¦‡ Thank you for the note and support! Xo

      Delete
  2. DITTOπŸ‘†πŸ»what your friend Kim said!! I don’t know how you do it, but you do...you need to give yourself waaayyyy more credit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you ask a lot of yourself when you combine work and childcare, even if you are waiting for an activity to conclude rather than actively engaging. Your family is lucky you are willing to juggle it!

    And the juggle gets old, never us πŸ˜„
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary and Liz, thank you reading and caring! I really appreciate it. Dan often does the gymnastics run but he has been working late and hard on book ghostwriting deadline (grueling). He has been doing more lately w Punch, which is good, or that crazy McCraziness Kim mentions kicks in. But his income is the lion’s share right now for our family so I take up the slack. It’s a pickle; I can’t work more because of parenting responsibilities so therefore I am still the one not making the lion’s share. I pray for balance and grace and the strength to do my work. And in some real ways, Punch has special needs that require focused attention from me/us in ways that Figgy did not. Luz: the juggle gets old, never us! Thanks I know both of you friends are hard workers and jugglers, too. Love Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is A LOT, Alice! And it's such a dilemma, because I'm sure the mentoring program AND the gymnastics are great for her, and can you IMAGINE if she didn't get to burn energy? ;)

    But that's a long, crazy day.

    ReplyDelete