Search This Blog

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Good Night, Cake Boss 

#cakeboss #lifeboss 🍰 

Sis enrolled Punchy, Julie and Alex [both visiting from Wisconsin] in the fondant cake decorating class at famous Carlo’s Bakery in Hoboken. It was an adventure this morning, and each student left with a cake. [It was already baked, filled and frosted with a smooth "crumb coat" before they arrived. They did the fondant.] Now that I had a slice, my task is to stop.

I’m a cake snob and somehow didn’t expect it to taste great but darn, it does. I thought the brand was watered down with its franchises and even though I’ve seen big crowds at the Carlo’s next to the Port Authority, I was skeptical. Until I plunged my fork in.

During classtime, Sis and I walked about 15 minutes up Washington Street to Schnackenberg’s, a great old luncheonette, for breakfast.

Our grandpa, Charles/Carlo, lived in Hoboken as a boy. But his parents died, so he was sent back to live with relatives in Italy. He came back again and raised his three boys in NYC with Rosie, our grandma--also an Italian immigrant.

Below, Hoboken architecture. It really is quite a city. They’re not pictured here, but lots of great window boxes full of flowers. Good night.


8 comments:

  1. You are a woman on the move this spring! Gorgeous photos, happy to read of your adventures.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ❤️Hoboken!! My roots go back there as well. My grandfather wasa longshoremen in Hoboken. My grandfather, my dad, myself and now my son all enjoyed “hanging out” in Hoboken! Love the vibe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that our grandfather was born in Hoboken and then went back to Italy but I never knew the reason why. Thanks for filling that in. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lin. That is what Sis told me yesterday; I wasn’t sure about that, either. Sad. Must have been hard for that little boy and in a foreign place. He must have been very pleased later to have and raise his own boys. Love you.

      Delete
  4. Hoboken is the greatest. So cool to connect with your family history. And Punch is adorable!

    ReplyDelete