Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Maiden Voyage to Plato's Closet!

J.Crew Velvet Peplum Top. I found it in GRAIN [white],
size XL, NWT, for $8 yesterday.
My Figgy, now 22, is a big fan of Plato's Closet, where you can turn in gently used or new/unworn clothing or, more importantly, shop for it. Yesterday at 6 p.m., we went with her dear friend [nickname Boaty, long story, a proud Smith graduate] and friend's mom, Rachael, who has become my close friend, too.

On past voyages, Figgy has scored awesome black ankle boots and strappy, dusty-blue crushed velvet shoes that I love! I need sneakers, the treads are flattened on mine, and though they were good prices, didn't find any great ones in my [big] size. [You have fine understanding, my Irish grandpa, Jim Mahon, used to joke, a twinkle in his blue eyes. Under standing, big feet. He liked a good riddle.]

Anyway, I saw a short, tweedy Michael Kors skirt [I would wear over black leggings], but too small. I was happy when I found this J.Crew Peplum Top. Originally $59.50, it's in the jcrew.com sale section now for $14.99. I paid $8 and it's in pristine condition. I will not wear it with jeans, as the model is wearing it, above. I rarely wear jeans now, but will again one day. They are uncomfortable in many ways.

The peplum part is soft cotton velvet, really feminine. I will likely pair it with a black skirt, and perhaps a black tank underneath.

Figgy found some teetering-heel shoes, a flowy, floral skirt and a crushed velvet dress. Rach scored a beautiful sparkly top and lovely straw beach hat that looks so pretty on her. Boaty got shades and two black tops.

It was a successful style voyage. Until later.

Here is the top in white.






4 comments:

  1. love a good thrifting tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But my friend Rach and I agreed that you have to be willing to hunt and peck at Plato’s. What we like about Poshmark ( the app, very good) is just enter your search terms and selection is filtered. I like that Plato’s is green—reduce/reuse/recycle, love Alice

      Delete
  2. I pretty much constantly search for white summer shirts thick enough to not show bra, long enough without being too long. This is gorgeous - congrats!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz go on sale section jcrew.com. And again, I love you congratulating me on fashion purchases!!! Btw I’m loving the green sweater w tulip sleeves. It’s sll in the details. Happy Mother’s Day, friend. Xo

      Delete