Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Fudging a Little Bit

I'm in a quandary. Punchy is underweight; her ADHD meds suppress her appetite. We try to get her to eat breakfast, and then we pack lunch, but she generally doesn't eat a bite of it. She doesn't eat again until late afternoon, sometime near 4:30 or 5 p.m.

The dr. advises us to do weekend "holidays" from the medicine--along with any schooldays off, vacations, etc. We barely give her her daytime meds in the summer. We're happy she gets the chance to eat. The daytime meds are meant to help her focus at school.

Anyway, I try and buy treats that she likes but I don't, since I'm avoiding wheat, flour and sugar. This is tricky. If it's in the house, I want to eat it. I take her out for ice cream or Starbucks frapps or let her get a brownie at the bakery or a treat at Java Love. She likes green tea ice cream and it's not a favorite of mine, so I buy that.

But I have not been baking for her, aside from the Baked Alaska/Alexa for her March birthday.

When I saw this recipe from food52.com for Butterscotch Creams [custards], I decided it was ok. It contains heavy cream and 8 egg yolks for Punch, but only 1/2 cup brown sugar for the whole recipe. Now, that's still sugar, and I probably should be avoiding it, but it is divided among 4 serving cups. [The recipe makes 6 servings; my cups are larger.]

Here is the LINK. Those custards look pretty darn delicious.

Right now, the custards are baking in a water bath in a low [300 degree] oven. They are laced with pure vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. I poured the butterscotch cream into two of our wedding china cups; one small ceramic cup my friend/boss made me; and a tiny Christmas mug.

The kitchen is starting to smell good.

But then my other quandary is that vegan Figgy can't have these. Oh well, one day at a time. Today, I stopped by her work to deliver a very strong coffee w soy milk and a vegan chocolate donut from Java Love.

I hope all is well in your pocket of the world.

Good night.


7 comments:

  1. Pried up a kajillion carpet tacks and poor Lionna (our dog) has mysterious cut on her side (she is elderly and stays downstairs so unrelated to tacks!), but a good Saturday. I love custard and would eat all six servings!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, you have joined the ranks of Kim and F w your DIY. I’m in awe, I mean it. I like to garden but....oh, I hope your baby Furball is ok. Dr might need to apply antibiotic? Xoxo

      Delete
  2. hmmmm..... my first instinct is that as much as you love Figgy and she lives at home and you want to feed her, she is a grown-up. If she were out in the world she'd be fending for herself. I know eating issues are sensitive there, too, but if Figgy could pitch in more with her own meals that would ease one of these moving parts out of your equation.... Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also (apparently I have a lot of thoughts here LOL), now that you're coming up on summer and things should ease with Punch's meds, really take this summer to plan WITH Punch meals nad snacks that she loves that are not triggering for you. She might be more helpful here than you think. You can comb cookbooks and recipes online and maybe come up with some mainstays for the tricky school year (corn can be tricky, you know!). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. and last thought (geez, I'm getting tired of myself)...Dan is a vegetarian. Can he take on the cooking/prepping of the parts of the meals that he and Figgy can eat (vegan is closer to him than to you) and you take on the cooking/prepping of the parts that you and Punchy can. And then pump up Punchy's in ways she may like (just spitballing here). You and she have oatmeal, but hers gets the brown sugar, chocolate chips and toasted almonds. You know, I could do this for freaking days. Food and parenting problems that aren't my own...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh Kim, thank you, I love your excellent advice. Corn 🌽 can be tricky, haha, I will never forget! TBT Figgy does make almost all of her meals. We just make sure we have basics like tofu, veggie sausages, Gardein (sp) frozen entrees, fresh vegs, almond milk, frozen or fresh berries, rice, pasta, bananas, fruit, bread, granola etc. Also vegan cheese when budget allows and nondairy ice cream treat. Her sched is busy—three summer courses now and she studies a lot, works in lab on campus etc and sees friends. So we don’t all eat together usually, which is my regret. Tonite we plan to. I like your idea of choosing recipes w Punch!!!! Excellent. Miss you and hope to see you soon. Love Alice

      Delete