It’s an investment--but worth it, in a [rustic] bungalow on a NJ lake for 13 nights, all meals and comraderie, fun and role models included. I found we had most of the things on the long packing list, from metal mess kit [I think they camp out one night] to rain boots. But we did have to/chose to buy:
- Flashlight, Target, or T.
- One-pc swimsuit, T. Punch has 2-pieces, but thought she’d like one-pc for daily lake swimming; I was right. And it’s so cute, blue and white striped w red crisscross straps and a little cherry 🍒 appliqué.
- Two navy skorts, T. I waited for last min and couldn’t find shorts.
- Two white polo shirts, T.
- Two swim caps, YMCA.
- Judy Blume and Dear Dumb Diary books, my friends’ book sale to benefit library.
- Crest kids’ toothpaste, CVS.
- Lavender baby shampoo, lavender conditioner, mint body wash, honeysuckle soap pump, Whole Foods.
- A Christmas present. I asked Fig to buy it and wrap it for me at Montclair Stationery, where she works. Punch will be at camp during the week the girls celebrate Christmas in July, a tradition that can involve caroling, cookie decorating, etc.
- A squishy red stress ball.
I hope Punchy loves sleepaway camp as much as Fig did. Figgy went to Frost Valley YMCA Camp in the Catskills from just shy of age 8 to age 16. She was a C.I.T. Camp Nyoda is 101 years old and all girls, which seemed like a good fit for Punch. My friend Rachael’s lovely daughter went there and has been a counselor there for several years.
I’m not finished packing but will in a.m., before Mass.
- Went to support group. Walked home. Pretty day.
- Shopped for healthy family dinner in honor of Punch going to camp. Dan made stir-fry w tofu and we had shrimp on the side. I browned apricots and donut peaches in a sklllet and we had w a little ice cream [vegan for Figgy].
- I’m taking the Amtrak Vermonter train Monday morning to visit my college roommate/pal Meg, who lives in Stowe w her husband. Back Thursday evening. $142 round trip!