Search This Blog

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Parksville USA

So peaceful here in the Catskills, even though "ghost town" does come up when you google Parksville. This was a big Borscht Belt destination, but now many of the buildings, like the dairy bar and the drugstore, are abandoned, whispering of years gone by. We peered in the dairy bar window and could still read the soft-serve flavors [including Coffee n Creme!] listed on the sign. I can picture happy families and happy kids on hot nights, cones in hand.

We just played Scrabble. Anne and Elly killed me. That was after a most delicious dinner at the cafe next to our rental house, which has 4 bedrooms and a big name--the Rolling River Inn. The cafe is closing permanently Oct. 7, after 10 years here, but will reopen at a soon-to-be brewery in a cute town called Livingston Manor.

Our meal was made to order and comforting. I had mushroom soup, tender lamb "lollipops" with blue cheese sauce and buttery mashed potatoes. Wanted dessert, listened to tempting options involving caramel sauce, chocolate and buttercream, but chose excellent decaf coffee from Java Love, which roasts its beans up here but has two locations in our hometown. The brew was toasty and dessert-y.   I will track down that bean!

Must sleep. Can’t load photos! Tried, but not a good internet connection. 

Grateful for my friends, for time to talk in the car, over coffee, walking the rail trail, at dinner, during Scrabble. For being there through it all--life ain’t all sunshine. 

And glad we all have supportive husbands holding down the fort. Dan got Punch 1 p.m. today, after her 7 days w Mimi, and said she looks more grown up. I miss her funny self.

Good night.

1 comment:

  1. I love mushroom everything. Thanks for tips on fashion buys! What I should have said is I would like to adapt what is in packed closet ... I am hard to fit clothes on, so jewelry and accessories is more my game. Another reason to love fall - skin baring styles very hard to work and it is just so hot and humid here, layering out of the question. Looking forward to it NOT hanging all out! Hee
    Liz

    ReplyDelete