Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2018

You Can Judge a Mag By Its Cover



Isn’t that a beautiful cover on the autumn issue of ASPIRE DESIGN AND HOME? And that is the "Dinner Guest" interview and RSVP, something I do for every issue--this one with a visionary who started at Sotheby’s in NYC and now opened an art gallery in Detroit. It’s a city on the rise in many creative ways, from art to interior design.

ASPIRE DESIGN AND HOME is bucking the magazine decline--for years, it was distributed regionally to upscale destinations [in NY, NJ, CT] and it recently went national. Look for it on newsstands. I even found it in a sprawling suburban ShopRite with a big magazine section. Or you can subscribe to the quarterly at aspiremetro.com.

Until tomorrow.

TCOY
  1. Biked in and out of town, wearing a new sweater. This brisk fall weather is ideal for biking.
  2. Worked at my spot, Joyist, from about 9 a.m. to hard stop at 3 p.m., when I had to bike back, get car and drive back across town to pick up Punch. I worked productively and #3 helped fuel me.
  3. I had The Anthony, a soothing, filling hot blend of Java Love Coffee, steamed house-made almond milk, coconut milk, local honey and Reishi mushrooms and then--on my 10th punch on the rewards card--a free warm, organic greens & grains bowl, the Asian-style one, w kale, brown rice, red quinoa, edamame, hard-boiled egg and a fabulous sesame-ginger dressing and chili garlic sauce. Yum.*
  4. For dinner, I craved a nice big triangle of NYC pizza, the kind you can flop and fold, but had homemade chicken soup packed w vegs--and some buttered Ezekiel toast.
*The menu is so good, I’m listing the link again so you can see it: Joyistnation.com.

Postscript on Friday morning: I texted Dan in NYC yesterday afternoon and said I was craving a big triangle of pizza. I also left him a voice mail. When he got home, he drove out to get groceries and a single plain slice for me. That was kind. It was delicious, and much better than eating half a pie on a Friday night, right? But...I was so tired after rising early to bike to school with Punch and then work in town all day....I was a couch potato, watching "Andy Griffith" and "Gomer Pyle" on ME TV from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., while Punch watched her favorite, "Supergirl,"on Netflix on my laptop in our bedroom......anyway, I devoured the slice but then got cranky and lost my patience....so maybe a pizza slice carb load at 9 p.m. is not such a good idea for me. Or maybe I was just exhausted. But that carb spike did not help shepherd a fifth grader to bed when she didn't want to part with her superhero.

4 comments:

  1. Agree, gorgeous cover! Congrats on regular gig and great tcoy day!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, thank you for that. The covers are so pretty; the editor is so talented. I have updated with a pizza postscript and also, I inserted a new jpeg so that article text should be legible. TGIF and have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful cover and wonderful byline! I am SO INTRIGUED with Detroit. Have been for years... Never been. It's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I think I went once on a press trip to Michigan. It is definitely up and coming. I like your bucket list. Mine currently includes the Cloisters--have never been!--Cold Spring, NY; Bermuda; Paris; Tuscany. :) xo enjoy your weekend/ can we meet up soon

      Delete