Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Oopsy Daisy 

I can see you--through the miles and over the airwaves--keeping me honest. I overspent today.

There's N., in the D.C. area, diligently reporting to work at her government job even with the shutdown/pay freeze. I spy Liz, who swore off buying new clothes and Kim, who meticulously reorganized her stuff, down to every necklace, and likes to shop her own closet. Don't forget Eileen, mother of three, who goes into Whole Foods solely for the good salmon, and will not take a cart, not even a basket, to avoid other temptations.

Can’t miss Sis, who is not an overspender or waster; Moey, who generally doesn't buy at full retail price; and Anne, who loves thrift shopping. My friend Bill, cub reporter/editor at The Daily Targum, who told me about the Mint spending tracker. And what about Mary Kate, who said I was doing well?

Or my cousin Lin? We share the same Italian immigrant grandma, Rosie, who worked hard in NYC doing piecework [artificial flowers for hats, etc.]  while mothering four boys, one who died in babyhood. I don’t think Rosie wasted money--or had much money to waste.

But in my defense: Did you know that my first staff magazine job was in a fashion department? I was indoctrinated at age 22 into the world of insider sample sales [where designers sell clothing at giveaway prices] and a locked fashion closet, similar to but smaller than the one in "The Devil Wears Prada." Did ya know that when I was at Good Housekeeping, my editor loved my accessory style and inquired about me moving from writer to fashion editor? And before that, another EIC wondered if I would be interested in being beauty editor?

Oh, hell, none of that pays the heating bill, does it?
I always check the coupon machine when I arrive at CVS to get Rxs. Today
I had $4 off Neutrogena Rainbath [I take a lot of baths] and $2.50 off
Colgate toothpaste.
Anyway, here goes. As forecasted, I received an electronic payment--for $960. Unlike someone I mentioned who might have been tempted to drink his paycheck, I did pay some key bills first.
  • I was at the dentist this morning to get my crown [not gold tiara, sadly]. On my way out, I doubled down on our monthly payment plan agreement and paid $300 instead of $150.
  • I paid off the total balance owed to my therapist, so I have a clean slate going forward: $320.
  • Fees for using an ATM that was not my home bank: $1.25 and $3.
  • Then, innocently enough, I was driving by Frederic Goodman, an anchor in our town--an establishment, a jewelry store that has been there for 40 years and is going out of business. The other day, I stepped in and Jeannie [sp] showed me a beautiful Swarovski crystal wraparound bracelet with 7 large genuine pearls spaced among the crystals. No clasp to open and close, and slow me down, making me less likely to wear it. It was marked down from $486 plus tax to $195 plus tax. It will also go nicely with the necklace your husband got you for Christmas, Jeannie said. I resisted. But the store only has a few days left and now the bright signs say, YOU SET THE PRICE. I walked in and asked Jeannie if the bracelet was still there. It was. She said How about $145? I said okay, and walked out wearing it. With tax, that was about $154. I feel like I'm disappointing you, friend, but not necessarily myself, in admitting that. I think I can see you shaking your head in dismay? Three thoughts/emotions were at play here when I handed over my debit card: 1. That I had made a big dent in family bills already and 2. That Frederic Goodman was closing, so this was a last chance and 3.,A  biggie, the idea that I deserve this treat and shouldn’t be deprived. See, the road to overeating and overspending starts with #3 for me. I lose sight of the bigger picture, my overall health and my family’s financial well-being. I also believe that fashion softens life and adds beauty and sparkle--so there’s that.
  • Parking meter was 50 cents for 30 minutes.
  • Next stop, Williams-Sonoma, but not for me. For a $25 gift card to mail to sweet newlyweds. [Dan and I were invited but could not attend reception.]
  • Then, CVS, to get Punchy's melatonin. I spent $22.24, which included $4.99 plus tax for a Hallmark wedding card to go with the W-S gift card I will mail.
  • Then I went back to Chelsea Square and got another tube of that Kiehl's Butterstick SPF Lip Treatment in Touch of Berry because I really love it and decided the color is just right. Price with tax, $20.79.
  • Jackie's Grillette for my lunch and a coffee for Figgy. $15.99 plus $3 tip.  $18.99
  • Joyist, where I have come to work until 4:15, for a handcrafted cappuccino [delicious custom Java Love bean blend, $6] and 2 small cacao PB cups, $4.; so $10 total.
$MSOOP
So, if we take away the family bills [therapy and dentist], and the $4.25 in ATM fees, we are left with $252.13. What? Wow. That is a lot.

Postscript
It's 3:42 p.m. and I've had a very difficult time settling down and getting my work done. Does overspending, like overcaffeinating, bring on this jingly-jangly feeling? Is it the cappuccino? Or the carbs at lunch at Jackie's? Or the overstimulation of spending too much $? Also, it does take time to write these posts....adding up every cent....I did walk the 20 minutes into town with Figgy in the brisk sunshine, but did not sleep well last night. Could use a nap right about now.

The spending continues and I feel every dollar. Punch has weekly therapy but this week is talking alone, not with me. So I'm working in Java Love, right near therapist's office and Punch will walk down and meet me. I had to buy something, so got Figgy a wrapped vegan raw bar for $4 plus 31 cents in tip jar.

Revised total. $256.44.



6 comments:

  1. it's so hard, Alice. We all feel your pain. No one has this locked up well. We overspend on restaurants and the kids, no question about that. Just 2 thoughts: 1) have you experimented with taking your credit cards out of your wallet, estimating how much cash you need for the day and tucking just that and a bit more for emergencies in your wallet every day. i used that method at various points in my life and it was helpful. Just the daily act of thinking about it in the morning or evening before it helped. Also, can you maybe revisit where you work outside the home? Maybe the library somewhere that doesn't force a purchase? Just thoughts... BUT paying off a chunk of bills is a great feeling, so kudos to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim...thank you for your thoughtful reply. I like that you care. I think we all do have our indulgences--recreation, travel, dining out, plays, etc.--but it's fine if it's in proportion to big income picture.//I guess the problem is that my spending sometimes is not.//Anyway, I'm sick as a dog with a cold today and wanted to walk in and out of town to work [50 min round trip walk] at Joyist but now I will work at home. I like your library idea and have tried that but me being me, I would go to the Montclair Public Library and be drawn to the cafe there, with lunch, organic chocolate, Third-World products for gifts, etc. etc. That cafe has closed, tho, sadly. Dan can work in cafes and spend very little and he often settles in at the NY Public Library and lives frugally, God bless [tho bus fare is $7.40 each way]. have a home office and though we just decluttered a lot of our house--so proud--my office is still kind of a wreck and I don't want to work in there until it's in order. That said, I could park myself in my chair for some time today. Thank you for bill kudos, there is that. xoxo Alice

      Delete
  2. O my gosh, Alice, no one admits to this stuff, what are you thinking? Esp the dirty “I deserve” rationale... such bullshit, and we all do it.
    You are something else with your unvarnished truths, I tip my hat. I am doing ok with exercise and spending, but not so much with social media, so off I go. Hope this log does what you want, besides inspire my deep admiration.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha LOL I like that, Unvarnished Truths. thanks for admiration, don't know if I deserve it, tho xo

      Delete
  3. oh talk about now doing well with our own demons!!!! worked late and ate: several jolly ranchers, 2 small Danish butter cookies, 1 piece of Hershey's chocolate, dipped in cafeteria peanut butter. So annoyed...I literally DON'T LIKE ANY OF THAT STUFF -- but it's all Xmas graft, and now that I'm typing it out, I'm going in tomorrow and throwing that shit out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim...I tried replying last nite but couldn't...I like how you were planning to pitch the Christmas "graft." Good job.

      Delete