Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Sunday, Sunday

Punchy is visiting her birth mom and family overnight. Dan drove her down this afternoon and she will be back tomorrow for my birthday dinner at home.

I hope it is going well.

I had a lazy day and enjoyed it.

And after Fig got off work at 5 p.m., I took her out to dinner. I have wanted to for a while, but she's been so busy with classes, work in town, work at lab--and life. Her spring semester starts this Tuesday, when she dips again into subjects like Evolutionary Biology and Organic Chemistry.

Dinner was nice. We went to Café Giotto, where I got a sandwich the other day. It's this little spinoff of a large, beloved restaurant in town that closed and then reopened in a cozy space on Church Street. It's intimate [just 4 tables for two, plus counter space, plus take-out]. No reservations taken, so we were lucky it was close to 5 o'clock on a frigid Sunday night.

The pasta and ciabatta are made in house, and there's a nicely edited pantry shop in the corner of the space where you can buy the tomato sauce by the jar and other Italian staples.

One of the housemade pastas was vegan [no egg] and Figgy had it with garlic and oil, mushrooms and broccoli rabe. She loved it. I had tender sliced lamb with pan gravy on a bed of sautéed spinach with roasted potatoes. Felt comforting and nourishing.

We had a little red wine [bring your own] and I had a nice decaf capp. I resisted the tiramisu and the marsala-cream-filled pandoro, both tempting.

It's my new favorite restaurant and I want to go with Dan. But tonight, mother-daughter bonding.

Good night to you. No school tomorrow and Tuesday in Montclair.

TCOY
  1. Skipping that tiramisu--and the pastries behind the glass.
  2. Watched 2 episodes of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Amazon Prime. Love it. Especially when they spend a summer in the Catskills in 1959. I love learning more about Jewish families and their religious traditions, too.
  3. Found an important book I misplaced, and made an important phone call.
  4. Sitting by fire in living room now.
$MSOOP
  • Dinner out w Fig, $55.44 plus tip=$66.
Total: $66.












2 comments:

  1. Sounds so lovely--I really enjoy mother-daughter dates. And so glad you're watching Mrs. Maisel. So fun, right!? Also proud of you for skipping pastries. That's not easy. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. I love Mrs. Maisel. Started watching it about a year ago? But didn't dig into season 2 until now. It is so fabulous.....New York, the Village, women's roles, art students, Paris, Columbia, comedy clubs, delis, Jewish family life....love it all. Thank you for the note. Love Alice

      Delete