Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Back Home with a Healthy Perspective

Cape Cod Rail Trail [bike path]. Before Dan and I were parents,
we pedaled really far one day, returning to Eastham in
the dark.
Beautiful image of the trail
from frugalfrolicker.com. Great website name! 


Didn't do much today except dig into the 10 days worth of vacay laundry we schlepped back, check a work email/article comments, eat leftover clam chowder from Mac's in Wellfleet, rest, go to Private Benjamin appointment, get a few groceries, make dinner and spruce up the garden. Punchy is with Mimi in North Carolina for a little vacay. That petite brunetti gets around.

And Dan and I split a perfect peach from the tree he has been carefully nurturing. Surprise, we returned home to golden globes hanging on the branches, and fallen fruit, too.

I have Cape Cod in the pocket of the short, swingy Nicole Miller dress I got for $19.99 at T.J. Maxx up there. Memories of the bike path, the freedom of pedaling past ponds, marsh grass.....the pleasure of riding with family. I biked with Dan and with Fig, Florida Orange and Punch. There's pure joy in seeing your children on bikes, helmets fastened under their chins, healthy and happy and pushing along on a tree-lined path. The little sister looking like a martian in her green helmet, determined to keep up with her big sister and cousin. They are with you and they are safe. Life isn't always like that.

Dan and I biked really far one day the summer before we had Figgy. We had been battling infertility, and I was going to a high-profile doctor on the Upper East Side in NYC. On a break from biking, I checked our home voice mails, the way you would remotely back then, calling our answering machine from a payphone and entering a code to play messages. [This was 1994.] I just remember that the dr. left me an encouraging message, and that I then called Moey, who was home with her young son, Kevin, and told her.

Anyway, let me update the dollars.

$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET
  • Parking meter, 50 cents.
  • ATM bank fee, $3. 
  • Le Salbuen on Walnut Street, iced coffee, $4.27 plus $1 tip, $5.27.
  • ShopRite, organic milk, leaf bags, mushrooms, pasta, bananas, vegan ice cream, Dove sorbet pops, $26.26.
TOTAL DAILY SPEND: $35.03.
TOTAL MONTHLY SPEND AS OF AUGUST 13: $1,854.59.
AVERAGE DAILY SPEND FOR MONTH SO FAR: $142.66.
[I added in all Cape and travel days now.]

Hot, big-money spends in August, or how I spent our bread:
🥖 Fill gas tank twice on Cape Cod, $46 x 2= $92.
🥖Idle Times bike shop rental for Punch from noon Saturday until 5 p.m. Sunday, $31.
🥖T.J. Maxx, four designer dresses, Adidas sneakers, knock-off lightweight Burberry scarf, Olga bra, Lauren pillow, shorts, etc. etc.,  $338.
🥖Pizza+ dinner with Punch after swimming in pond in Brewster until after 7 p.m., $77.
🥖Mac's Market & Kitchen, lobster, clams, kale salad, mango salsa and other Sunday dinner ingredients, $53.
🥖Brewster bakery, including cookbook I somehow lost, maybe a message from God because it was packed with recipes for sweets, $25.
🥖2 Massachusetts mugs, one for Cape and one for home, $28.
🥖Commando.com, black half-slip, $65.
🥖Arnold's Lobster & Clam Bar, fried clam belly basket plus tip, $30.
🥖Pure Vita, the new CBD [not for me] and natural home care store with essential-oil bar and pretty pineapple throw pillow case for Cape house, votive candles, seaweed/lavender bath sachets, $52.
🥖Stop & Shop, Cape groceries, $29 + $40 + $52=$121.
🥖Lobster roll supper with P. at Adams Lodge in Wellfleet, $32.
🥖Eastham info booth, pink sweatshirt, $30.
🥖Mass Audubon annual family membership, $65.
🥖Sunbird breakfast sandwich w citrus mayonnaise on grilled ciabatta plus expensive coffee beans from, of all places, Portland, Maine, plus tip, $27.
🥖Audubon gift shop, small turtle rug for home; bird gift for Figgy; goat milk body wash; Bee Boss Body Balmwhich I love for lips, too; small owl wall calendar for family, with member discount, $88. 
🥖Vineyard Vines, candy-pink gingham skort, orig $98, now on sale for $68.99, plus shipping, $79.
🥖Mac’s Market & Kitchen, lobster, scallops, salmon, lemon, cornbread square, crackers, $49.

COMPARISON SHOPPING. That long Cape Cod vacay in 
August really drove the numbers up so far.


TOTAL SPEND FOR MONTH OF JULY [STARTING JULY 5; I LOST A FEW DAYS THERE]: $1,610.81. ðŸ‘› 🎯 ⬇️
JULY AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $59.66!  ðŸ‘› 🎯 ⬇️

TOTAL SPEND FOR MONTH OF MAY: $2,348.24.
MAY AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $75.75. 

TOTAL SPEND FOR MONTH OF APRIL: $3,634.28.
APRIL AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $121.14.


5 comments:

  1. That's a great little story about checking your messages and getting some good news. I remember once negotiating terms of a job from a pay phone in Port Authority, because I didn't want to talk from my office and I had no cell phone. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I think I charged the payphone calls to a credit (or debit?) card because I didn't have enough change, especially to call NYC from the Cape....I loved the photos of your Ireland trip....fantastic......Love Alice. PS Punch starts middle school this year.....it has good moments, right? sending love

      Delete
  2. Oh boy … well, yes, it does have good moments. It's fun to change classes, and there are a lot of fun activities to choose from. But it's a rocky time!

    I tried to comment on your cemetery post and I don't think it went through. Alice, I think you could develop that. It's nicely written, as always. And I really felt some dramatic tension. Love your work … keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I want YOU to be my mother! You must be such a good mom....calm and insightful. Thanks for the cemetery post idea. I'm going to look into developing and submitting it. Thanks as always, Alice

      Delete
  3. <3 I make a lot of mistakes, I promise you.

    ReplyDelete