Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Gilda Is Gone

My dear lifelong friend Lorraine's mother died Monday, at age 96. But she was absent for years, far away with dementia. She didn’t know Lorraine anymore.

The last time I saw her, at Lor’s 50th birthday party, she was already slipping away.

Mrs. Tedesco was raised in Italy. Her husband, Patsy, short for Pasquale, was a shoemaker. Gilda was a homemaker, and proud of it, though she was a seamstress as a younger woman.

I remember her walking all over Dumont--to Saint Mary's, the grocery store--briskly walking, her petite frame strong enough to carry her bags.

She never learned to drive.

Today, Moey and I met back in Dumont for the service at the funeral home and Mass at the church.

If you look closely, you may see her flying through the heavens tonight--homemade Italian cookies in her apron, big smile on her face.

Godspeed, Mrs. Tedesco. Thank you for being such a good mother to my friend. Our mothers mold us. And since mine died young, I guess I’ve placed high value on my friends’ mothers. How lucky my girlfriends were and are to have them.

I would like to write more but I am tired. Good night.

TCOY
  1. Blowout for important appt. tomorrow.
  2. Ice water.
  3. I have to start counting day 1 again tomorrow off refined sugar road, because Lorraine's dad's cousin made a sponge cake, a humble, home-baked offering for the funeral table. It was lofty and tender and part of the family heritage, so I had a pillowy slice. Memorable. I followed it with two leaf-shaped butter cookies, one chocolate, one pink, and a piece of dark chocolate.
$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET
  • Gorgeous white orchid Moey and I bought to bring to the house. We split the price, so $20.
  • Blowout for interview, $35.
  • Small art piece bought from Punchy's friend, $5.
  • Kings. I let Punch pick out lots of things she wanted--a rare treat lately--from Stacy's Pita Chips to frozen chocolate-chip pancakes. I'm too tired to write it all out, but $102.59. That included milk, oat milk, organic chicken tenders, Uncrustables, yogurts, vegan dinners, toaster corn cakes, etc. etc.
TOTAL DAILY SPEND: $162.59.
WILL crunch numbers soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment