Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2019

Friday-Morning Quarterbacking--& Dan’s Work on NewYorker.com

DAN'S ARTICLE
Hi. Please click link above for Dan’s report on how child abuse deaths are not accurately tracked. It’s important data to see the light. Proud of him [can’t lie, also wish I could write for them some day in some way].
I know this is a grim, very grim topic for this glitter-and-eggnog time of year. My list is filled with items like fresh white ice skates for Punch [unless her friend gives her a hand-me-down pair today] and perfume and art supplies for Figgy. But darkness in families, especially around Christmastime, is tangible and real. Dangerous and painful, sharp and caustic.
I say this from experience, and I know I’m not alone.
A prayer for peace this Christmas. My team [the tight-knit one I work on] "adopted" two NYC families--each consisting of a single mom and a teen girl--to gift with winter coats, hats, scarves, gloves, PJs. We are all going shopping for the items at lunchtime today. The $75 Dan and I are giving to that is the most meaningful gift on my long list.
Writing again what vanished last night:

TCOY
  1. Ate a clementine at my desk. Tiny but mighty delicious and fragrant.
  2. Ice water.
  3. No donut when box at office.
$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET
  • Bus, about $7.85.
  • MetroCard, $3.
  • Cathedral High School Christmas fair raffle tix, $20.
  • Cafeteria lunch, $6.50.
Total daily spend:  $37.35.
Ongoing spend as of Dec. 12: $1,882.13.
Avg daily spend: $156.84.

7 comments:

  1. Your not-eaten office doughnut got me thinking... How has your eating changed with going to an office several days a week? I found staying home leads to more eating, because the kitchen is right there. On the other hand, there were tempting treats at the office, and food trucks right outside... So I'm not entirely sure on net how it's worked out. Curious what you think.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nan! Thanks for the comment. How are you? I remember that when I was a young woman on a magazine staff, I got a freelance assignment from the editor, and had to work on that at home, in my childhood home, where I was living then. "I keep going to the refrigerator," I joked with my college friend. And then I was on and on staffs for a long time, my longest stint at home, I think, being from early 2008 until this past fall. I was undisciplined at home in many, many ways. I think I exercised more, walking or biking into town, but I didn't have a consistent schedule for meals. Working has helped me with that. Coffee, breakfast, commute, coffee, cafeteria lunch, yogurt, fruit, small pc dark chocolate. However, as I mentioned, Dan doesn't always have dinner waiting when I get back from NYC. He is doing a lot of other things, though, with Punch, grocery shopping etc. etc. and his own work. So I would say I have long admired your resistance to treats at work. One ramp for me has been--oh, the boss is treating everyone to a coffee run, or donuts etc.....I do my best to resist. Love Alice Merry Christmastime. I know you will miss Marilyn, hope you will be ok.

      Delete
  2. What a bunch we are - I too noticed you didn’t get the donut. Yay, you! We give during the holidays, and agree, it is a necessary balance to the indulgence of the season. Feeling hectic and eating too much, the old food replace rest equation. Will do better!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, i hate our computers...typed two long replies and lost both...let me try again...

      Delete
    2. I completely agree, Liz. Food replaces rest at this busy time of year. I am trying to change that. Left party last night when I was too tired to resist cream puffs and rugelach any longer. xo

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to Dan! I'm going to save the article for when I have a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen...yes, good idea....but unlike regular New Yorker articles, this is for newyorker.com, and much more manageable lengthwise. Love Alice

      Delete