Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2020

Article Archive: Writing about People in Need, People in Pain

I worked as a writer in the offices of Catholic Charities on First Avenue between 55th and 56th Streets from October 21 until December 20 and then about once a week after that, writing articles for the website through January and into February.

I am thankful for my smart and funny co-workers. Thankful, after a career writing primarily about "lifestyle" topics, from stylish sofas to decadent brownies--with some very notable exceptions--to tackle heavier subjects, including homelessness and the need to replenish food pantries.

I loved working in my New York City again...not just the glittery city, but the hardworking city, alongside the friendly New Yorkers who serve coffee and rolls from corner carts and the ones in French uniforms with neckerchiefs who sell brightly colored macarons in a chic cafe.

I loved being among them, one and all. I liked riding the E train from the Port Authority to 53rd Street and Lexington Avenue.--noticing eye shadow colors women wore, subway ads for mattresses and for men's underwear. The fun faux fur coats, boots and totes people sported. The tourists and lovers. My guessing game--telling in a blink who was wealthy and who was not.

I liked riding the bus to and from Montclair. I liked pushing the elevator button to my floor at work. I was tired at night, but I went to bed early and got up about 6:10 am.

After many years as a freelancer, I was part of a team in an office again. And it reminded me that I thrive as part of a team, and still want that.

I liked belonging. Being professional and supportive. Working together on a raft of 5 smart people in a sea of words, to end up with the best possible product.

I hoped to join the team permanently. The work was meaningful. The organization's reach is remarkable, from helping feed the hungry to supporting immigrants. It seemed I was going to be hired--that was alluded to many times--but then, after a 6-month budget review, I was told that the writer position would be restructured and would not be filled at that time.

I was sad and I mourned this loss, like the huge blow it was. My heart sunk straight down to my Tory Burch wedges.

I am still grateful, of course, to our friend Celia, who heard about the need for a writer and told me right away. I earned money to pay for our family health insurance, heating oil, mortgage, phone bill, groceries and many other necessities. I earned money for Punch to join Dan on his work trip to San Francisco. I bought a knee-length winter coat after many years of jackets.

I also found some style wins in our Sutton Place neighborhood, brands I didn't know. Clean Market, where I got my trendy Keep Cup and met Goop products up close. I discovered the pretty pink Sweet Laurel cookbook there, and even the California bake shop's chocolate cake mix and special take on vanilla extract [made with tequila]. I found delicious New York pizza on First Avenue--perfect Mama's red sauce, melty cheese. I got to know some shops in Grand Central Terminal--Vineyard Vines, the food market, Warby Parker. And I passed the A La Mode Ice Cream Shoppe, with its adorable pink and white striped awnings, twice a day. That's the nut-free ice cream brand that Little Daisy Bake Shop stocks in Montclair!

I got to know others at work, not just on my team but in other departments, too. Almost to a person, they were kind and cheerful. Smart. Talented. I loved working with the two twenty-something people on our marketing team. I liked the clergy members in our midst, too.

I liked pitching ideas. I'm good at pitching ideas. I'm good at my craft of writing and editing, and getting along with people, putting them at ease, connecting with them.

I have empathy, important when talking to people in need, and writing their stories.

From October to December, I wrote pitches for The New York Times Neediest Cases Fund campaign, an annual and venerable effort that helps many New Yorkers. It runs in the newspaper and online from November into January. I worked on a team, primarily with my manager, researching and writing/rewriting pitches that we submitted to the NY Times team. They were getting pitches from several charitable organizations, so our goal was to send in compelling stories.--and get help for clients of Catholic Charities.

To be honest, by the time I left, the office-atmosphere tide had changed.

As I move on and trust that another door will open, I want to put links to some of my Catholic Charities writing here. I am also moving on to my essay assignment for another client.

NY TIMES NEEDIEST CASES FUND [We wrote the story pitches; NY Times reporters followed up with the clients and wrote the published articles.]
https://catholiccharitiesny.org/news/taekwondo-gave-2-children-outlet-it-gave-their-mother-break

ARTICLE IN NY TIMES ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
https://catholiccharitiesny.org/news/new-york-times-neediest-cases-reporters-help-raise-millions

FOSTER PARENTING
https://catholiccharitiesny.org/news/help-wanted-open-your-heart-and-your-home-fostering

ANNUAL HOMELESS COUNT
https://catholiccharitiesny.org/news/catholic-charities-new-york-hosts-hope-count-panel-discussion

EMBRACING BLACK CATHOLICS
https://catholiccharitiesny.org/news/embracing-black-catholics-changing-diverse-community

Must move on to essay. Thank you for being there.

1 comment:

  1. I miss an office and being part of a team, too. And it’s so hard to deal with the terror and uncertainty about the future right now. I honor you for being able to focus and write these days. Draw on your strengths, my friend. We all need to find those inside us.

    Xoxo,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete