Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Good Night

Sug and I drove over the Mario Cuomo Bridge to check in with Sis and Buttercup this afternoon. They live alone.
The four of us took a long walk by a field of feathery cattails and a pretty marina. We saw a pair of geese and a pair of ducks. And to think--sailboats. Toys for sport and pleasure seeking. I hope they are off to sea and Sound this summer.
The lit-up signs on the Garden State Parkway said STAY HOME and #FlattenTheCurve. I was mindful of leaving home and put it off for a week. But I wanted to check in on my Sis. We did not go anywhere except to pick up takeout [just me] and take our invigorating walk.
We didn’t hug. We Lysol-wiped the TV remotes and our cell phones when they switched hands. [Sis had new pics on her phone of her grandbaby boy out in San Diego.]
I brought her some yellow forsythia cuttings, 2 pink hyacinths and 3 garden daffodils. Also a roll of paper towels, a cafe au lait pot de creme and a big waffle Punch made this morning.
Always generous and caring, she sent me home with a 15-lb. bag of Sug’s IAMS dry food, the snowman jar she always refills for us with delicious coffee and a tin of her dainty signature cream cheese spritz cookies, 2 potatoes and one onion.
And when I was leaving, I said, Go back in now and swab down the deck.
I will, she said,
Back home, I rubbed the steering wheel, gear shift and door handles with a Lysol wipe.
Until tomorrow. Be well. This new way of living takes a lot of tireless diligence.

4 comments:

  1. Isn’t it agonizing, deciding what to do about seeing family? I live alone, too, though just a block from family. My brother-in-law is texting me daily to check in, if we don’t have other contact. I know how much your sis appreciated you coming.

    Xoxo,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nan. Sis and I were so glad to see each other, yet cautious, too. We are making a list of things we are hoping to do when this is all over. Punch wants to go to a fancy sushi place. Sis wants to go to the zoo! Sending love. Alice xoxo

      Delete
  2. hey guys, will catch up with work drama tonight, but just checking in to say that we facetimed the 2 away girls last night for dinner and then watched the first episode of Cheer on Netflix together while meeting on Zoom. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds great, Kim! I don't know what Cheer is, but I like the title. Sis and I watched 2 episodes of Frankie and Grace or Grace and Frankie, which is it? It makes me laugh out loud. LOVE Alice

      Delete