Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Truth & Beauty

The truth is that the world as we know it is facing a pandemic. It is scary and sad and potentially paralyzing. When the dust settles, whenever that may be, our world will have changed dramatically.

The beauty is that we have a chance to cherish our family and friends. To be there, if not in person, then by phone call or text.. The beauty is that I see the March sky through the living room window at 7:15 pm and it is so pretty. Mother Nature/Mother Earth is still wielding her paintbrush. She has not stopped. She cannot stop. That is her gift.

What is my gift? What is yours?

I have Cafe au Lait pots de creme in the oven, baking in a water bath. I poured the hot coffee-tinted custard into my own and my mother's cherished china teacups. The recipe called for 3/4 cup sugar and I cut it back to 1/2 cup. The recipe is from a wonderful, aspirational cookbook called Julia Reed's South. And pots de creme are pretty easy, as long as you are careful with the hot water bath. [I removed top oven rack so I had a lot of room to slide the pan in.]

May our lives smooth out, step by step, inch by inch, sunset by sunset.

Until tomorrow. Prayers.

TCOY
  1. Support group via Zoom meeting app. I treasure those friends. Their strength, wisdom and presence of mind amaze me. I sat in my car outside the church where we usually meet on Saturday mornings.
  2. Nice walk at 12:30 w Dan, Figgy, Punch and Sug.
  3. Talked to Sis, Moey, Dan's brother John.
  4. Finally thinking and blogging here.
  5. Cooking. I also made the "best crab cake" recipe from Julia Reed's Ham Biscuits and Hostess Gowns.
$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET
  • Kings, 12 oz. chilled blue crab meat in a can at fish counter [from Maryland--Julia loves blue crab]; half-gallon whole milk; pint raspberries; loaf wheat sandwich bread; quart cream; quart half and half; pound butter; bananas; scallions; lox; meat to make meat loaf; one giant onion; bag of clementines, $83.
ongoing monthly spend as of March 21: $1,556.63.
avg daily spend: $74.13.

No comments:

Post a Comment