Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

3 Spoonfuls of Sugar

I stumbled upon this paperback in the 1980s,
and it is a treasure.
We had some apples that were going bad, and don't like to waste anything in this time of fewer trips to the grocery store. This recipe for Apple Cake is from a charming old cookbook I love called Sweets for Saints & Sinners, by Janice Feuer, illustrated by Veronica di Rosa. It was published in San Francisco in 1980, and I found it on the "giveaway table" at my first magazine job. Woman's Day editors often put things out for the taking on the hallway tables--cross-stitched tablecloths, crafty curtains and other projects from photo shoots, cookbooks, even treats.

The recipe is so easy, you can slide it in the oven in under 30 minutes. It is really delicious. I cut back the total sugar from 1 cup to 3 tablespoons. This cake would be delicious made with hazelnut or walnut oil, but they're pricey and I didn't have any. Fig loved the cake. This small loaf is mostly fruit, and it vanishes fast.

APPLE SNACK CAKE, adapted from Sweets for Saints & Sinners

2 cups unpeeled apples [about 2 to 3 apples], rinsed and diced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 egg [I used egg replacer powder]
1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Grated nutmeg, about 1/2 "nut" or use ground nutmeg but freshly grated is best
Pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white or whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Shelled walnut or pecan halves, optional
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line the bottom of an 8 by 4 inch loaf pan or an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper, or butter and flour the pan.
  3. Combine the diced apples with the sugars in a bowl and let stand. 
  4. In medium-size bowl, whip the egg lightly with a whisk. Whisk in the oil, then cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
  5. With a wooden spoon, stir in the apple mixture, flour and vanilla. I added a handful of pecan halves.
  6. Spoon the thick batter into pan; smooth out best you can.
  7. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
TCOY
  1. Clipped overgrown forsythia shrubs again [we have several in the backyard] and filled a lawn and leaf bag to bring to the curb.
  2. Picked up my hair color bag at salon. [It was outside on salon porch with other customers' secret formulas.]
  3. Ate some baby spinach.
FOOD
  • Dan and I are trying hard to get Punch on board for remote school. She had 11 am Zoom session with math teacher. P lost a tooth last night [still has 3 baby teeth to go]. Was up at 2 am. Dan made a BIG brainy breakfast with scrambled eggs, Hungry Jack pancakes, bacon and sausage, with a little glass of milk. I had 2 fluffy, small, fat HJ pancakes w butter and a little pure maple syrup, 3 pc bacon, 1 sausage, 1 whole-wheat toast with butter, 1 coffee w milk.
  • I made the apple cake. I had 2.5 pieces. It was so toasty and good.
  • About 6 walnuts.
  • Tall ice waters.
  • Lunch during home school day; baby spinach w avocado, tomato, croutons, feta and a little dressing; six Bagel Bites, worst ever. 
  • Second coffee with whole milk.
  • 8 Ritz crackers w a couple slices Cheddar.
  • Spoonful crunchy Skippy PB.
  • Breaded, pan-browned flounder, tartar sauce, broccoli, Basmati rice.
$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET
  • Nordstrom credit card, pretty Wacoal bra on sale, free shipping, $29.98. [Using the Nordstrom phone app is fun and fast. Great filters for sales, size, brand, etc.]
  • Paper Plane Coffee in Montclair, curbside pickup, three iced drinks for tomorrow at 9:30 am, can't wait, including Iced Matcha for Punch, $3.50 tip to help support staff, $22.16.
  • Charity donation, Giving Tuesday Now, $25.
Total daily spend: $77.14.
Ongoing monthly spend as of May 5: $220.14.
Avg daily spend: $44.03.






8 comments:

  1. You are brave, keeping up with the food tally as well as the money. I won't follow your example but know you are not alone. Misery does not love company, I wish we both had easy paths to good nutrition, but I agree that better health means less weight, no matter how hard to bring down the weight. Deep sigh! Hang un there.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll try the apple cake, perhaps rainy today, if my apples are already too bad. Apple cake, apple crumble, apple coffee cake, all personal favorites. And like you, I’m trying to waste a lot less in these times.

    Xoxo,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have ?s about this cake. It seems lovely and C is constantly making this favorite choc snack cake and it would be nice to change it up. BUT...1 cup to 3 tablespoon of sugar...that feels like an extraordinary reduction. Is it still sweet enough? I would try this, for sure, if it were just for me and F, but if it's a no-go with C, I won't get her to try it again...honestly she's like a 4-yr old with her taste dislikes sometimes. If you were to hedge on how much more sugar to put back in to make it more likely to be successful with her, BUT not to go back to the original 1 cup amount, what would your recommendation be...put in 6 tablespoons maybe (2 brown, 4 white), which is still only 1/4 cup... Awaiting your answer, oh baking guru....

    ReplyDelete
  4. and the cookbook...I die. so fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. Okay, so it's a humble, imperfect-looking, lumpy cake...but it tastes good and is pretty healthy, esp if I had whole-wheat pastry flour, but I used white. And the whole house smells good while it bakes. I hear you re. C's tastes. Punch would not even taste this. If she knows something is healthy baking, she will avoid it. I would say to try using 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar with the diced apples? I dice very roughly, which may add to the lumpiness of my cake. LMK if you try it. #staysafe (And you might bill it to C as more of a breakfast/brunch cake.)

      Delete
    2. PS Kim, I have read a lot about baking and sampled a lot of it, but I def have my share of flops so don't think of myself as guru. Once, I made Maureen an elaborate chocolate mint dessert and by the time I drove to her house, the layers had slid out of place and it was a mess....:)

      Delete