Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Mothers & Daughters--What's in a Name?

Jacqueline and Caroline. Their names go together.
Image from:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiCbuJG01III8i8ukNM2FdTLa0C7j7q1ABmd_hkUFFmQr2E1e0xrBQaTF00_J0FvXgML1LQEFv3r2jvoEw9veho7TgC_zBMLXdqykKoaRyoP3n-cfO-nNMfM_UpdKWcRdpYA61PJfAFbKi3/s1600/Jackie-and-Caroline-Kennedy.jpg
https://www.rolexmagazine.com/2011/11/caroline-kennedy-rolex-two-tone.html

I was mulling over names in bed last night, especially the ones we give our daughters. These tags are a lifelong gift--or, maybe, in some cases, a hated curse. But I do believe we live up to our names.

It took me a while to own my name, Alice--but now I embrace it.

I toyed with giving Figgy a flower name, like Rose or Iris, but Dan was all for naming her after my mother, since he knew how much I missed her. I loved that idea, too.

I hadn't thought about the pattern, but Figgy recently pointed it out to me. My grandmother, Alice, named her daughter Anne. Then my mother, Anne, named her daughter Alice. Then I named my daughter Anne. So Figgy pointed out that she would consider naming a girl Alice to follow the pattern. [WOW!]

Just because it feels good, and like a connection to honor in these uncertain times, here is a list of some of my friends, cousins, nieces, sisters-in-law and even famous people, like Caroline Kennedy or Dylan Lauren of Dylan's Candy Bar [daughter of Ralph Lauren] and their mothers' names. I have usually listed the eldest daughter. For example, my Aunt Gloria has three girls, and Maria is the firstborn.

I had Punchy and her birth mom on here, but P. asked me to remove them when I ran it by her.

Please tell me some pairs I missed! Sorry I can't get 2nd column to line up here.

DAUGHTER                  MOTHER 
  1. MaryAnne [Sis]      Anne
  2. Anne                       Alice
  3. Muriel                     Harriet [Hattie]
  4. Maureen [Moey]     Muriel
  5. Laura                       Maureen [Moey]
  6. Susan [Fritch]          Helen
  7. Lorraine                   Gilda
  8. Lauren                      Lorraine
  9. Adrienne                  Rosemary
  10. Irene                        Maria
  11. Anne                        Hope
  12. Emily                       Anne
  13. Hope                        Mary Lea
  14. Meggy                      Joan
  15. Sugar [doggy]          Delilah
  16. Madonna/Candy      Pat
  17. Elisabeth                  Madonna/Candy
  18. Linda                        Edith
  19. Lori                          Linda
  20. Andrea                     Judi
  21. Maria                       Gloria
  22. Theresa                    Mary
  23. Veronica                   Peggy
  24. Kim                          Doris
  25. Yasmine                   Kim
  26. Amelia                     Ali
  27. Liz                           Mum [LOL, what is Mum's name, Liz?
  28. Lionna                     Liz
  29. Nan                          Marilyn
  30. Clara                        Mary
  31. Celia                        Debby
  32. Meg                         Sally
  33. Rosemary                Rose
  34. Caroline                   Jacqueline
  35. Rose                        Caroline
  36. Lynda Bird              Lady Bird
  37. Tricia                       Pat
  38. Susan                       Betty
  39. Chelsea                    Hillary
  40. Malia                       Michelle
  41. Jane                          Judge Ruth
  42. Ivanka                      Ivana
  43. Amelia                     Elizabeth
  44. Chloe                       Candice
  45. Liza                          Judy
  46. Sheila                       Roseann
  47. Amy                         Judy
  48. Amy                         Natalie
  49. Susan                        Alice
  50. Patricia                     Dawn
  51. Dawn                        Shirley
  52. Catherine                  Patricia
  53. Heather                     Catherine
  54. Nancy                       Rita
  55. Gwen                        Nancy
  56. Elly                           Ann
  57. Eileen                        Patricia
  58. Mary                         Agnes
  59. Eileen                        Mary
  60. Izzy                           Eileen
  61. Donna                       Anita
  62. Mariah                      Donna
  63. Aubrey                      Beth
  64. Leah                          Jerri
  65. Julie                           Ina
  66. Sophie                       Julie
  67. Barbara                      Evelyn
  68. Marlene                     Rose
  69. Maria                         Inez
  70. Claire                        Catherine
  71. Catherine                  Claire
  72. Elizabeth                   Rachael
  73. Devon                       Angela
  74. Lilith                         Jessi
  75. Vaurie                        Sianne
  76. Sianne                        Lynn (sp)
  77. Julia                           Doreen
  78. Brynn                        Courtney
  79. Taylor                        Christina
  80. Patricia                      Judi
  81. Anna                         Gail
  82. Lisa                           Judy
  83. Caroline                    Mary
  84. Caroline                    Cathy (sp)
  85. Alexandra                 Lydia
  86. Amalia                      Obie
  87. Georgia                     Jean
  88. Mary                         Mary
  89. Catherine                  Beth
  90. Heather                     Catherine
  91. Freya                        Natalie
  92. Susan                        Vera
  93. Maddy                      Patsy
  94. Lisa                          Cheryl
  95. Kathy                        Joan
  96. Kathleen                   Ronnie
  97. Ariana                       Julie
  98. Ruby                         Angel
  99. Judy                          Patricia
  100. Julie Anne (sp?)        Judy
  101. Luisa                         Kate
  102. Dylan                        Ricky
  103. Ella                           Paige
  104. Dylan                        Jenn (sp)
  105. Anne                         Mary
  106. Apple                        Gwyneth
  107. Luci                           Lucy
  108. Mary Jane                 Jo
  109. Marissa                     Mary Jane
  110. Claire                        Rosie
  111. Eileen.                      Nora
  112. Nora                          Eileen
  113. Edith                         Caroline
  114. Michelle (sp)            Marilyn
  115. Nicole                       Diana
  116. Olivia                        Beverly
  117. Maggie                      Carol
  118. Debbie                      Virginia
  119. Elizabeth                   Eleanor
  120. Julie                           Elaine
  121. Michelle                    Margaret
  122. Tammy                      Beverlie
  123. Brenda                       Carol
  124. Ella                            Marilynn
  125. Alice                         Sheila
  126. Elliot                         Sasha
  127. Sonia                         Anne
  128. Sarah                         Edie



11 comments:

  1. I love the story of your cyclical mother-daughter naming. So lovely! For Y, I wanted a name that was Eastern, but not too hard to pronounce. but also not mainstream. when a college friend of ours introduced us to his girlfriend Y ( who became his wife), several years before we had kids, I knew I found it. It had the bonus points of having not been used by F's very large family. That changed by the way, there are 2 younger Y's in the family now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And M has a story, too (don't they all). MY mother wanted to name me that, but my dad was on a kick that it sounded too swedish (which is hilarious because he really identified with his roots). Dad named me. But Mom always regretted it and I grew up knowing I should have been ML. When we were planning on getting pregnant 2nd time, I was wondering what girl names to use -- I was floating more Eastern names (there are so many beautiful girl ones; I could have had a dozen!), and F said what about ML? I was like, really, should we? And we kept it a secret from Mom until after she was born. We floated another name during the pregnancy. We didn't know the gender of the baby beforehand, so it was great fun to tell her that not only she had another granddaughter, but finally got her ML.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND... one more thought! Both girls "look" like their names, Y carries the more Eastern look, ML, the more Scandinavian, but it was totally luck. they were named in utero before we had any idea of their looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Kim...I love YOUR story! I love the history of ML's name. I love that both of your daughters do indeed fit their names...it wouldn't seem right had their names been interchanged. Or is it that we grow to resemble our names? No, their physical beauty--and even personalities-- match their names in the case of Y and ML. I also love that you knew you had found Y's name years before you had her. Did you also have a feeling you would have daughters, not sons? I am so grateful for daughter(s). And wow, two more Ys in the family now! Thanks for writing, and #staysafe at work. Love Alice

      Delete
  4. Mum is Madeline, and so is my sister. Her mother was Margaret, and the grandparent we had the little longest, living her last 5-6 years with Mum. Will was to be Margaret. John was to be Amanda. John was a VERY strong name in our family Dad, Dad's Dad, my brother, and 2 of my cousins. Will is namedf Uncle Bill, my dad's oldest brother and bachelor who was good to all his many nieces and nephews. BTW, Dad's Mother was Ellen, and the year after Dad died, Ellen was one of the first people I met standing in line for law school registration. I liked her right away and have talked to her pretty much weekly, if not more, since.
    Feel connected to me, Alice, I doubt my sons know their great grandmother's names the way you do now! Hee.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, thanks for the stories....I love hearing them. Madeline...pretty name. One thing I don't understand: "BTW, Dad's Mother was Ellen, and the year after Dad died, Ellen was one of the first people I met standing in line for law school registration. I liked her right away and have talked to her pretty much weekly, if not more, since." Had you not met Ellen before? And how cool you were both on line to register for law school. Wow. Love Alice

      Delete
    2. BTW, IDK what Nan's full name is...Nanette, Nancy, etc. :)

      Delete
  5. I love both Anne and Alice!

    We also have a pattern beginning .. my mom was Nora, and now of course, I have my Nora. You seem to know an unusual number of Eileens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen. So glad you could comment again! I was 99 percent sure your mom was Nora but didn't want to be wrong. So lovely to have a daughter named for your mom, isn't it? My mom's mother, Alice, was I think a bit of a pickle for my Mom, but maybe not when she was/they were younger....sending love. Stay safe. Love Alice xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Yay, I was able to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I think my mom also had a difficult mother.

    The thread isn't exact, but her mother was Mary Ellen. And my dad's mom was Mary. I'm Eileen Mary, so really, that almost kicks it back one generation earlier. :)

    I also hated my name when I was little, but I like it now. And Nora hates her name, but I KNOW she's going to appreciate it some day! ;)

    ReplyDelete