Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2020

Pray to God, Row to Shore

I think that pray/row title is a Yiddish saying? My dear friend recently shared it with me.

Still seeking help. Still needing it big-time for Punch.

She will go to Mimi's for a few nights on Sunday,and I will drive to Sis's in CT for a day or two, to get a break and change of scenery, by the water.

My Uncle Jackie, the middle of my Mom's three younger brothers, turns 90 tomorrow and has pancreatic cancer. His daughter, my cousin Loretta, just called to tell me today and I spoke to him in hospice at home. I would like to drive and visit him on Long Island but I will see what my cousins say. I love my Uncle Jackie. Always upbeat, smart, witty. Also a treasured thread to my mother and their young lives.

Our problems stand small in the looming shadow of the white police officer causing the death this week of a black man, George Lloyd, in Minneapolis. Unrest, protests, marchers in masks, since we are in the midst of a pandemic. Police car set on fire. Something has to change. #Blacklivesmatter #Alllivesmatter

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Picked up Andre Leon Talley's book The Chiffon Trenches at Watchung Booksellers [back-door pickup]. I love his fashion writing and his history. Can't wait to read. Once sent him a fan letter and he wrote back! Hope to start reading it now.
  2. Supportive phone calls.
  3. Burning pretty Sweet Laurel candle from California.
  4. Ate some tomato and 5 big blackberries.
Will add up money tomorrow.
today Thai food pickup, with $10 tip, $61. 
toni's kitchen donation the other day, $20.
lip salve, $5.
Instacart Thursday, $31.
CVS Thursday, $31?





3 comments:

  1. Alice, I am just delighted by your plans! Hope the water sparkles and does its usual work to soothe you. And visiting with your sister in person will be another treat! Yay!

    I hope you can go to LI, but can be comforted by your memories and good intentions if you cannot.

    My Dad John was the witty Uncle Jacky to a bunch of nieces and nephews, so another naming bond. Did not mean to be cryptic yesterday, but Ellen is a another family name - an aunt and 2 cousins as well as my grandmother. I was so sad and desperate leaving MA after Dad died, and the girl in registration line was so nice and funny, and then I found out her name! Auspicious beginning to decades of friendship.

    Enough about me, off to the Atlantic with you, blow a kiss to the waves for me!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz....oh I see, your Dad was the witty Uncle Jacky! Nice. I hope you are and yours are safe and healthy. I liked seeing Peter's red truck in the parade. Love, Alice

      Delete
  2. SO glad you will get a break and a change. Enjoy the sea air!

    Xoxo,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete