Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2024

Fun with Celia in the Greatest City in the World

SMØR Bakery in the East Village, so close to where my friend Celia lives, in Stuyvesant Town, and just doors away from my brother John's apartment*. Who knew? Thanks, Celia, for taking me there. Photo by Karsten Moran for The New York Times. 

I took the train into Penn Station (the Moynihan Hall renovation is finally coming along) to meet my friend Celia for lunch in the East Village.

It's late, so I will do a punch list:

  • Round trip NJ Transit train ride from Mountain Avenue Montclair only $7.15 for a senior. Bargain.
  • Two subways, the E and the 6. Good to be back in the midst of things. Police presence, two friendly officers helped when I doublechecked that the uptown E would go to Astor Place.
  • We ate at Little Poland, a restaurant not far from the Ukrainian hotspot Veselka (which was packed) on Second Avenue. They had little, freshly baked loaves of Easter bread by the register, $6 a pop. I got one for my family. I had Swedish meatballs, steamed carrots, red cabbage, potato pancake.
  • Celia and I went to PlantShed on Second Ave. Gorgeous flowers (fat fuchsia roses on long stems), heavenly candles and lotions, tiny flowerpots, a nice cafe with good-looking pastries, such as  teddy bear financiers, and matcha coffee drinks. We just browsed, but I would like to go back.
  • I realized my oldest brother, John, lives a block away. I called him, and then Celia and I popped by. He couldn't come out, but he looked much better than when I saw him last, in the hospital. I really like his neighborhood. We will be talking soon.
  • SMØR Bakery on East 12th Street! Oh my goodness. I can't wait to return. Nordic, with hearty loaves, sandwiches, pastries etc.! The sesame sourdough rolls are SO GOOD, chewy and thoroughly seeded. Scandinavian-inspired space, shelves stocked with jarred herring, imported licorice bears and rich chocolate spread (like but not Nutella). Here is NY Times report. Smör/SMØR means "butter" in Swedish.
  • Celia (who is Jewish) took me into Immaculate Conception Church on First Avenue. I think I've been there once before, but had forgotten. Good Friday liturgy....we caught a glimpse of the holy service, the procession, the crucifix swathed in crimson cloth, full pews for the 3 p.m. service. We didn't go in past the glass doors but saw beautiful statues in the alcove.
  • MTA crosstown bus. Liked it.
  • Dan had a poker game here with Michael, Dean, John and Gary tonight. It looked like fun. Dan is always happy when surrounded by his friends or his four older brothers.
  • After driving Punchy to Fort Lee for a birthday party, I motored over to Whole Foods in West Orange for Easter basket treats for my family. Also pink tulips, lavender epsom salts, oat milk creamer, vegan butter, etc., delicious-looking mango-filled vegan cookies for Easter dessert that I can tell everyone will like.
  • Car wouldn't start when I left Whole Foods. I had to call AAA; thank God we have it, and cell phones, too. Anthony came fast and towed our car back home, while I sat in the warm cab on a cold night. We also had to pay (a lot) to Uber Punch back from Fort Lee. We are hoping to get a new car soon. Figgy and her car were at her new apartment Friday.
  • High stepping, with those subway steps, the NJ Transit train and getting up and down from Anthony's tow truck. (Back home, Dan was there to help me.) I am getting older. And for all the truth and beauty of life, that is sobering.
Good night to you.

*My other brother, Will, lives in a NYC apartment too. I am the baby of four.



5 comments:

  1. Sorry about the car, fingers crossed it isn’t a big repair. I too love Easter colors after the starkness of Jan/Feb. My neighborhood matches - pink and yellow and white everywhere. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when I make an appearance in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, haha, you are funny. And now I tweaked the copy and added the part about your church. I really like that you were a sleuth with finding my brother's "secret" back entrance. Love Alice

      Delete