Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Stirring Up Some Mischief

While the cat's away, the mouse will: make Sarabeth Levine's Triple-Chocolate Chocolate Pudding [so named b/c it contains bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate and pure cocoa powder].

It was 7 P.M. on a Friday night. H. was winging home from Montreal, Fig was at her friend's house, Sug was collapsed on a chair, it was bitter cold outside and I had some feelings and worries and wishes to work through. So I stood at the stove, measuring and stirring and whisking. This is cooked chocolate pudding, from page 235 of the great book Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours. [I met the amazing baker at Macy's last summer and she generously gave me a disk of pie dough; read here. It was one of the best gifts of my life.]

I haven't spooned into it yet, but may dip into one of the chilled custard cups now. There's just something therapeutic about taking ordinary things like milk, sugar, eggs and chocolate and turning them into a timeless, old-fashioned treat. [Don't you love this chapter name? Spoon Desserts.]

I don't know how to explain it....I can't control some behaviors in others that worry me....I can't change what people decide, be they family, friends or colleagues.....I can't force someone's hand... I can't snap my fingers and make them see the truth in an instant....I can only change me and the way I look at the world and interact with it...and I can change--yes I can!--plain-Jane groceries into magical riches.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp in the park...in the snow, hail, sun.
  2. Walked Sug around block once.
  3. Communicated clearly and maturely about finances with H.
  4. Talked to Punch and felt warm and fuzzy inside--we're seeing her tomorrow.
  5. Put on jeans, zipped them up--easy to overeat in skirts that aren't fitted.
  6. Stared down good-looking peanut butter sandwich cookies at Whole Foods.
  7. Bought a bunch of pink tulips for five bucks, put on mantel in antique pitcher from house sale in Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment