Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Recipe Makes the Rounds

I learned from my friend Nancy, back in high school, that this makes killer brownies.

My friend and fellow writer Kim [whose great blog inspired me to start blogging three years ago] posted this awesome recipe from L.A.-based master Joy the Baker on February 5: BROWN BUTTER ROSEMARY ORANGE CORNBREAD.

It is SO GOOD. Thank you, Joy, and thank you, Kim. There's a stick of butter, but it's spread out over a lot of servings. The cornbread is so moist and rich, and uses only one-third cup sugar, flavored with aromatic fresh rosemary and grated orange peel. I got a big juicy orange and went to town, adding more than the recipe calls for.

So fragrant, so delicious. I made a pan last week and a pan this week. I put a wedge in Figgy's lunch for a snack--feeling somehow like I was packing a pail lunch for a farmgirl. I'm making vegetarian chili tomorrow night to serve with it and while I'm avoiding sweets except one day a week, I allow myself this because it is not too much sugar per panful. But I won't lie: It is particularly hard to resist with butter.

For me, the most time consuming step is snipping the fresh rosemary into tiny pieces.

Good night. I really love Joy's site; the Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pudding is on my radar for another sweet day.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp in the dome.
  2. Walked Puff around block once.
  3. I broke through a weight plateau.
  4. Liked the sight of snow falling tonight when I took Puff out front just now.
  5. Baked two pans of Baker's One-Bowl Brownies just now for Valentine's Day, with walnuts, vanilla extract, freshly grated orange peel, espresso powder and a little coarse French sea salt. Topped with dark chocolate chips before baking and scattered after with tiny red sugar hearts. Packing most up for Figgy to bring to school tomorrow. But the point is, if I'm making brownies, I'm making the finest ones. I also love the recipe from Baked cookbook, but they call for chocolate I didn't have. To save money, made the recipe with the Baker's unsweetened chocolate I had.

4 comments:

  1. Sooo glad you are enjoying it! It truly was a winner. If you are cutting back on sugar, do NOT try it with honey and butter. It's to die for!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the thought of honey dripping off it is scary good. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh, I love those Bakers One-Bowl Brownies too. and I might even have a box of Bakers at home. Hmmm...,
    xxx000
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy: as long as you have 3 eggs, 2 cups sugar and a cup of flour...and real vanilla...and butter. You know the drill. I still remember the time your parents visited you guys in Brooklyn and you said you had made a pan of chocolate-frosted brownies and your mom brought some, too, by coincidence! it runs in the family. happy val day love alice xoxoox

    ReplyDelete