Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Kiss Me, I'm Irish

H. and I went to see The Saw Doctors--the Irish rock band from County Galway, Ireland. We went with our friends Michael and Anne.

They played at Irving Plaza in NYC. I love listening to their music, so I knew most of the words. But if Anne and Michael hadn't gone to Ireland on their honeymoon 20+ years ago and heard the Saw Doctors on the radio there, and then went to see them play in NYC after that.....I would never even know about them.

It struck me, again, that the Irish are so sentimental, lyrical--their feelings run deep. I love these lyrics from "Clare Island":

Will you meet me on Clare Island
Summer stars are in the sky
We’ll get the ferry out from Roonagh
And wave all our cares goodbye
And we’ll go dancing at the ceili
We’ll go kissing on the strand
Take our clothes off in the moonlight
Skinny-dipping hand in hand.....


Before the concert, we ate @ Pete's Tavern! I've walked by it many times and been eager to try it. O. Henry was a regular there!!!! How cool is that? And it opened in 1864. Wow. I had the Irish coffee.

BTW, I still yearn to go to County Galway, my grandfather's birthplace. I was telling Anne tonight, I feel like there's a part of my Irish history there that I have to find.

Good night.

TCOY 
  1. Boot camp in the park.
  2. Very short nap.
  3. Salon blowout. 
  4. Caesar salad with shrimp. 
  5. Singing and dancing, and getting in touch with my Irish roots.





2 comments:

  1. And wasn't it a grand evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael. It was so much fun. I loved it. At first I thought it wasn't going to be as good as at the Cape Cod Melody Tent but then it turned out to be just as good. I have been listening to my Saw Doctors CD today. I love it. Happy Saint Patrick's Day! alice

    ReplyDelete