Search This Blog

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Welcome to Parsons The New School for Design

With Figgy in her Parsons dorm room in the Village.
The view on Second Avenue around the block.
A lot I want to report but am tired; have been running around for two days.

After all our blowups, move-in day itself went pretty smoothly.

Some random notes:
  • How cool it would be to live in the Village! A suite with kitchen and bathroom and two bedrooms. Figgy is in a triple and two other girls in a double. Nice laundry room. Security guard at door 24/7.
  • After we left the dorm at about 4:45, H. and I went to an Italian restaurant called John's of 12th Street between First and Second avenues. It dates to 1908 and we loved it. His fish and my chicken parm--perfection. He texted Figgy about it b/c it has a separate vegan menu, too [includes pizza without cheese]. Cash only.
  • One of Fig's roommates is from Raleigh, NC and one is from Miami. They both seemed nice. I'd say all three are distinctly different from one another in some obvious ways, but compatible, I'd guess.
  • I made three jars of semi-healthy treats, one for each of them--at least I got the treats @ Whole Foods. I layered whole-grain fig bars, Newman's Own chocolate sandwich cookies, Late July  mini peanut butter cracker sandwiches and gummy bears. I tied a ribbon around each jar. Figgy's jar was larger and I put a dark chocolate bar in it, too. The girls liked them.
  • Some things haven't changed since I went to college in 1979. You still need that Fun-Tak adhesive stuff to put things up on the walls without damaging the paint. You still want a dry-erase board to leave messages. You still use a shower caddy to carry your shampoo and soap. Oh, and two out of three of the girls had a "husband," that pillow with arms that you lean on. At Douglass College, we called them husbands. Ours were corduroy; today's are plusher.
  • At the parents' reception, the hip style quotient was sky-high [but understated] among staff, students and parents. I have never seen so many cool eyeglasses in one room. Yikes. My favorites: Anthony Aziz, director, BFA Fine Arts, handsome and friendly with striking celery-green frames. Simon Collins, dean of the Parsons School of Fashion, a British fellow with neatly cuffed jeans, a trim navy blazer, bare feet in navy suede loafers and black eyeglass frames. He has tea weekly in his office with students and said we should tell Figgy to watch for the dates. And Jonathan [sp], a freshman from Louisiana with a really nice pompadour. Let me tell you, the fashion bar is high. Fortunately, Figgy packed a million lipsticks, nail polishes, necklaces, shirts, sweaters, jackets, pants, dresses, and shoes [from fuchsia suede baby doll shoes with mile-high heels to faux Chanel flats.]
  • I happened upon La Maison Du Croque Monsieur on 13th Street, where I got an iced Belgian chocolate drink--splurge. 
God, please bless her and keep her safe. Good night, sleep well.

TCOY
  1. Ate a yum plum.
  2. Walked Puff around block.

7 comments:

  1. Hurray! It sounds like it went well. She's going to love it and be fine. Give her our number in case she ever needs anything in an emergency. Actually, you should give her Farhan's cell and work number, too, since he's in the city.

    Funny story about the "husband" pillows. We had one in the house growing up and it was my Dad's. He referred to it as the king's pillow, well, because he was the king. But I thought that's what everyone called it. When I was in Boston, I saw so many girls had them and I went to Macy's in downtown Boston and looked for them. I was disoriented in the big-city store, so I asked the women where the "king's pillows" were. After some back and forth, it dawned on me that this was not what everybody called them! For some reason, I always think of that story when I think of those days of getting out in the world and learning how things are and aren't done compared to your childhood home!

    I'll be interested to hear our posts and compare notes on the empty nest, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad all went well getting Figgy settled. It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been exactly 10 years since we went through the same with L., leaving her at her Rutgers dorm for the first time. Once we brought in all the stuff, she couldn’t get us to leave fast enough. And it felt so strange at home for a while with her gone. I said that “keep her safe thing” every single night. Fig will be fine, and so will you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please give her our # too since we are only a block away! Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Kim and Lin and Celia.....will be great to see you Celia love alice

    ReplyDelete