Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2015

Frame Game: Whisked to Walmart, Part 2

Finally getting back to the sequel to Whisked to Walmart last Tuesday for the launch of Hard Candy Eyewear at Walmart.
In the takeaway bag: A cute bottle of light blue Hard Candy nail polish.
What it really was: The holder for the press kit on a USB flash drive. Companies are getting so clever about the way they present product info on thumb drives.


Ketan Patel represented Hard Candy at the press event--and encouraged me to try on a pair of shades, below.


For me, it's hard to resist a style press event when a car service is provided to take you there and back! This one-hour morning event celebrated the launch of cosmetic line Hard Candy's eyewear [Rx and sunglasses]. It is sold exclusively at Walmart, also the sole purveyor of Hard Candy makeup. And when Rachael--a very helpful press rep I've known for years--sent me the invite, off I went.

Beauty Field Notes
  • I was whisked to Walmart in Secaucus [10-15 minute ride] in a spotless Mercedes SL driven by Ronnie [sp]. I enjoyed the supple pale leather seating and the impeccable floor mats that were not strewn with Cheez-It crumbs and pens that don't write. Before I knew it, we had driven past the cattails swaying in the wetlands and arrived at Walmart, where your average shopper was zipping in and out with wagons full of Bounty jumbo packs and groceries. It was 11 a.m.
  • I met Ketan Patel, above. Hard Candy started with Sky nail color, he said. That's the light blue, like the USB drive bottle above. Ketan showed me the frames, and I liked them, especially the twist on tortoise, with blue in the mix. I also enjoyed the frame names, such as Twisted Grape [purple] and Little Hottie [signature Hard Candy colors of black and hot pink]. The optical frames are $68 and the sunglass frames are $39. The Wedding Crashers frame looked really good.
  • It used to be you couldn't wait to ditch your frames and get lenses, Ketan said. But now frames are a fun fashion accessory. Case in point: Patricia Arquette put her readers on at the Oscars this year when she won. Remember?
  • Ketan gave me beauty tips, since I often wear my reading glasses, and had them on that day. Lenses magnify fine lines, he said. So I like to use a little peach undereye primer. And don't overcoat lashes with mascara. You don't want them to wipe against the lenses like a windshield wiper blade. Also: Make sure your brows are groomed. And then: A lip. A glossy lip or bold lip.
  • I spoke to Tabitha Watkins, Walmart's senior director of optical, who had flown in from her workplace & lab at headquarters in Arkansas. She said W. talked to hundreds of customers in blind focus groups this year in Atlanta and learned that they wanted more eyewear styles and colors. She said W. shoppers like designer accessories that are within reach. They want a Gucci frame because they will never be able to afford a $2000 Gucci bag. [Not that Walmart sells Gucci frames yet.]
  • Before Ketan dashed out, I asked him how long he had been wearing eyeglasses. Since age 10. That makes him a visionary when it comes to style you can see.
  • Before I dashed out to get my ride home from Karim in a black SUV, I talked to Tabitha about the beauty brands sold at W. She mentioned Flower, Drew Barrymore's line. I have to say I bought a concealer by Drew--and fresh asparagus, bananas and bread. Total: $13.44. One-stop shopping for beauty inside and out. This Bergdorf's girl was impressed. Walmart was not on my radar.
Good night to you.

TCOY
  1. Walked Sug around block.
  2. Skipped boot camp this morning. Needed some time to read NY Times and sleep.
  3. Asparagus with lunch, and spinach salad.
  4. Quick latte with Anne and Elly for Anne's bday.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes your job is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nan. Thank you for reading, and for saying that. I do enjoy this type of event....and I do enjoy writing about it, perhaps even more.....hope all is well love alice

    ReplyDelete