Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2016

The Morning After That Sugar Crash

It's true, if you eat sugar, you crave sugar. And if you avoid it, you crave it less.

The fallout from yesterday's Italian desserts at 4 p.m. lead to a grab of 2 leftover goblin green sugar cookies, half of a Parisian Florentine and a couple stolen bites of the donuts Punch decorated at party. This all happened at about 9 a.m. I was still tired but pushed myself out of bed earlier to get Punch off to school. Being tired is always a red flag for me. If there is sugar in sight, I will make a mad scramble to get my hands on it and gobble it down. As if sugar is an energizing fuel--not a sedative.

Start fresh now!!!! The important thing is that I am at my desk now with a tall glass of ice water and I am working. I have healthy foods planned for the rest of the day....sweet potato, red pepper, turkey, hummus, etc...

3 comments:

  1. Groan, it's so true. Sometimes exercise helps reset if I start the morning out wrong. I think of it as burning off all the sugar. Sweat, lots of water, then protein rich food. And more water.

    I'm not sugar free these days, but the later in the day I crack, the better.

    Hang in there. At least now you've got a real and recent memory of how good you feel with and without it to remember when the choices are there.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear Nan...thanks for checking in and sending your thoughts. That's true, exercise is a good reset! I will keep that in mind. And yes, the water, water, water. Yes, when you lose don't lose the lesson--I now have a very fresh memory of how I felt sugar-laden. Yet I still don't feel confident that I can survive Halloween without candy. I know if I eat that first Reese's, my absolute favorite, there will be no turning back. Any strategies? Love, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halloween has me concerned.... The past few years I had such good intentions and ended up with handfuls of crappy little candy bars. I bought my candy and put it in a spare room. Left overs will go right to the office, where usually I can resist. So for me it'll just be Halloween night to deal with. No good plan.

    ReplyDelete