Search This Blog

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Old Cape Cod 

Dan and I love the animated retro short, above, from my childhood that comes on before the show and between the two featured movies at the Wellfleet Drive-in. Dancing candy bars, ice cream, popcorn and sticks of gum. Simply the best. The darling ultimate best.
Today we:
  1. Took a dip in Herring Pond. And enjoyed the journey there, losing our way on some sandy back roads w 5 MPH speed limit.
  2. Shared fried clams from Mac’s in Eastham [no more fried stuff for me]. Still avoiding flour, wheat and sugar, I made an exception with the clam breading and fries. We shared the clam plate 3 ways and still didn’t finish it. But truly, I don’t think those foods agree with me; I felt kind of sick after. At dinner, seared scallops, asparagus and rice was a much better fit. I also bought a pound of kale salad at Mac’s.
  3. Had clam chowder [Punchy].
  4. Pulled up to drink in the view at Great Pond and walk Sug a tiny bit while dogs still allowed [before summer season kicks in].
  5. Zipped into Hot Chocolate Sparrow for iced coffee [me].
  6. Witnessed ravaged Nauset Light Beach after winter nor’easter[s]. No more stairs, changing room, showers, restrooms. Dramatic. We all know the delicate Cape is thriving on borrowed time. 
  7. Heard beautiful birdsong through the window screens.
  8. Napped and read.
  9. Drove past historic windmills.
  10. Went to the Superette for Cheerios.
  11. Saw the Star Wars movie at the drive-in. Time travel, sitting in the car, speaker hooked up to door, radio tuned to soundtrack. I liked Ron Howard directing. Not a Star Wars fan but went for Dan. In spite of myself, found a lot to like, especially the leading man--handsome with disarming charm. And Emilia Clarke as kick-ass leading lady. Also the music/Star Wars theme; clean, modern architectural fashion [necklaces and collars on Qi’ra]; robots with heart; Paul Bettany as villain; and really cool-looking cocktail glasses.
  12. Walked along Aquinnah Way past lilacs and irises [Sug and me]. I’ve been biking and walking that way since I was 19. I feel connected to my past with every push of the pedals, every step I take.

Sug paused on our walk while I fished out my cell phone to capture these hardy lilacs--as weathered as the Cape itself. Like the land it was planted on, the shrub gives forth beauty even after a wind-whipped winter.
Good night, salty air.

4 comments:

  1. Love these glimpses into your beloved Cape, Alice. LOVE the drive-in. I would be such a sucker for that, too! And LOVED the lilacs. I'm feeling disconnected from the outside in all my running around....

    ReplyDelete
  2. MA means lilacs to me too, because there are not many around here. Can’t believe you saw Star Wars before me! I have tix for tomorrow afternoon, incentive to keep painting ( this is union break!). U remind me there’s a Baltimore drive in we mean to try.
    Peter has shellfish allergy, so For decade I indulge fried seafood only in MA. Keeping my splurges to booze and sugar is hard, the fried seafood which was the ultimate summer treat growing up not sitting too well with me either, which is a blessing! So fun hearing you love the cape!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Geez, I went in dreading Star Wars but now remembering all I liked about it. When Punch is w Mimi next weekend, I think dan and I might watch the original Star Wars, from the 70s, right? Liz, did you go to Cape a lot? Xo

      Delete