Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Restore & Repair

Can’t believe I have to write this whole post again! Just lost it.

Is my moon in the seventh house and Jupiter aligned w Mars? There’s a thread I can see. 

Yesterday I dropped my good fur-trim sweater at Moline Kronberg, the ritzy tailors/cleaners that dates to 1911, to mend underarm holes and clean it. Then I took 3 other sweaters to the more reasonable place in town, where the cost for all 3 combined is half of the Moline bill.

But my fur-trim sweater is everything.

Today I went to upscale Frederic Goodman Jewelers, where we got our engraved gold wedding bands, to drop off my pearl Tin Cup necklace w small garnet birthstone pendant, a gift from Dan years back, for repair. Sug broke the fragile gold chain w her paw when she was wriggling in my arms. This is about the third time I’ve had it fixed, since the delicate chain breaks easily.

Then I stopped at STITCH, that fashion boutique I love, where I resisted a pretty pink pineapple top [$88, but a lot to love] and dropped off the favorite Kenneth Jay Lane earrings I bought there. The owner, Caitlin, has already repaired them once and is trying again. I’m grateful. I wore them constantly.

Earlier this season, beading rock star Mary Marino repaired my gorgeous pearl mala beads, her design, for free.

I don’t know, maybe this is a sign that I’m getting my life in order and fixing broken, beautiful things. That I’m repairing treasures that already exist instead of looking for new ones [well, pink pineapple top aside].

I still have two fancy pairs of Tory Burch sandals to get in to the shoe repair place.

Good night to you.

TCOY

  1. Walked around block.
  2. Steamed veggies in morning, had some for dinner.
  3. Important reading, writing, reflecting.
  4. Met w wise person to talk, and listen.
  5. Planned short Cape Cod getaway for next week w Dan, Punch, Anne, Michael and Nikki. Yay. Can’t wait. Anne did the legwork.
  6. Ate some fruit.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, fixing stuff right up there with getting rid of stuff in satisfaction. I have a tailor or give away pile at home, plus a small sewing repair pile in the trunk of the car. But June has been an expensive month, so I will drive it around for a while.. and the pile at home is a question. I decided the clothes which are old and I still wear need major updating, but there is a possibility that I will go long enough without them that I decide I don’t need them and just give away.
    You are putting great stuff back in circulation, Par-Tay!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz you’re right it is satisfying! Reminds me of Kim organizing her necklaces. I’ve put off a lot of repairs. But my neatnik Sis gave me lavender scented mothproof bags and on Sunday, dan took Punch to shore w another dad and daughter to go on rides etc —and Dan asked if I would Pls put away huge pile of my clothes in our bedroom while they were gone. He has a lot of patience (sometimes). So I sorted, hung, etc. and that got me onto the next (repair) phase. Hahahaha, I have things stored in the car trunk, too—-how is sweet Lionna? Love Alice

      Delete
    2. And Luz you know I love it when you say congrats on a style purchase and now you say par-tay!!! Hahahaha funny

      Delete