Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2018

A Feel-Good Photo



Dan Feigelson, left, and my Dan Wednesday night in Asbury Park when Dan F. took Dan out for his birthday.

I love their friendship. They met when Dan F. moved to Ogden Avenue in Teaneck. He was 3; Dan H. was 4.

Dan F. couldn’t find his way home, just a few houses away.

Is this your house? my Dan asked. At the next address, Is this your house? I think they found it pretty quickly, but it may have felt like a long time for a lost little boy.

Hey kid, do you want to be friends? my Dan said then.

And the rest is history. I’m so grateful for the Feigelsons, who took Dan under their wing. The Hurleys split up when Dan was 7, the youngest of 5 boys, and my mother-in-law then raised her brood alone. Times were tough.

Mrs. Feigelson was an attorney, Mr. Feigelson a respected child psychiatrist in NYC. They had two boys after their Dan, and a live-in nanny, too. They had a chess board. They had structure. Not to say Mary Hurley did not/does not love her boys.

But I’m grateful for Dan Feigelson and his family.

Good night to you.

TCOY
  1. Walked to and from town for sidewalk sale.
  2. Ice water.
  3. The Greg, the delicious blend from Joyist, made w local Java Love cold-brew coffee, banana, peanut butter, raw cacao, dates, etc. I love it.
  4. Scored a gorgeous wide wool/cashmere infinity scarf/shoulder wrap/almost poncho in retro blue knit pattern at sidewalk sale, 40 percent off. So lovely. Made by McKernan in County Clare, Ireland. [The storybook address is On the Green, Tuamgraney.] Check the website for that mill! And Howell--the nicely edited home+ shop on Valley Road where I found it. The shopkeeper brings back a lot of treasures from Ireland for the store.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I’ve looking at the ponchos. I have a knit reversible wrap, blue one side, green on the other, that I wear, but I was thinking something longer, like a sweater coat but poncho style. But I don’t really need it, my outerwear gameis pretty strong. It’s a manifestation of my sense of fall!

    My birthday was embarrassingly good, lots of attention and treats.

    Love the story that the Dans remember being 3and 4 and finding each other.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I’m so glad your bday was sweet!!! Your wrap sounds nice. Xo

      Delete