Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Good Night, Good News 

I last saw the pulmonologist in Lodi in February. His assistant removed the little data chip from my CPAP machine this morning and the dr. read my data from the last 6 months. He said:

  • On average, I stopped breathing two times per hour vs. my previous 75 [!] times per hour.
  • I lost 18 pounds since February [that part from scale, not data chip].
  • I have logged an average of 7 hours sleep per night.
  • He wants me to lose another 10 lbs. by my next 6-month appointment, in early March.

Docs say that when you use a CPAP, you lose weight, since you’re finally getting restful sleep, I guess. However, I had such a hard time adjusting to this hated machine that I actually gained weight, an unwanted extra gift. So glad the tide turned. 

I have also been doing my best to eat less sugar and white flour since April. But it’s a day-by-day challenge--today I succumbed to barbecue potato chips and approached  a donut display case twice before finally retreating.

In case you missed my essay rant on the girlfriend.com about my hate affair w this sleep aid, here is the link:

https://www.thegirlfriend.com/article/sleep-apnea-nightmare/

I guess I despise it a little less now.

Sweet dreams.


6 comments:

  1. 18 lbs?! Congratulations! I would tie a ribbon around the machine! Great news about better sleeping too. My eating is way more veg and way less processed anything, and still every day I must fight. Bah. But yay for you!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha right! Tie ribbon around machine!!!! I hear you, every day a challenge.,,,but what you’re doing sounds good. Xo

      Delete
  2. 18 pounds is a freaking miracle! that is amazing, Alice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim thank you. I don’t weigh myself too often and tbh think the young lady could have made a mistake. Enjoy weekend!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Alice, that is awesome! All good markers: better sleep, fewer wakeups, and that is a huge weight loss! WHOOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. Xo. I hope school year is going well for the kids. Nora looks so beautiful on your Facebook. May middle school treat her well; I’m sure she treats the world well.

      Delete