Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Remembering Our Targum Days 

Drove to New Brunswick for a banquet celebrating the 150-year anniversary of the Rutgers Targum newspaper. [The name is derived from translation or translator.] 

Like Rutgers College, the newsroom was an all-male domain for a very long time. But by my freshman year in 1979/1980, we had our first female editor in chief on the Monday-to-Friday daily paper: Smart, confident Nancy Greenberg was very nice, professional, wore great preppy Shetland wool crewneck sweaters and a little gold heart pendant, had a twin and a perfect hairdo that looked like a longer Dorothy Hamill. [Remember that style?]  I’ve seen Nancy at other reunions, but not tonight.

I noticed a group of people from the class of 1969, and I liked that. Tried to strike up a conversation but didn’t get too far. Wasn’t sure if the woman I spoke to was on the Targum staff or a contributor. I’m not sure when women first infiltrated The Daily Targum masthead.

I sat happily at a table full of my comrades. We had such fun those four years, working side by side on clunky manual typewriters, the AP machine noisily spitting out news stories we read and occasionally published..

Photos of my pals and me--some closed eyes, including mine. [We are more comfortable on the other side of the story, inquiring rather than being the subjects. Good excuse, right?]


The current staffers were there, too. #soyoung #eveninggown #hotpants 

Good night.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Good color on you, and earrings look awesome. And yes, preppy sweaters and the hamill wedge were part of my college days too. But I wasn’t part of any student groups, and have never attended a college reunion. BU was and is just enormous. I do fondly remember our student newspaper, it is amazing to me that students like you could put it out, my tiny high school had nothing like that.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz! Was yours a Catholic high school? I’m heartsick over what’s going on in the Catholic Church. So glad you met Kim and F in college! BU sounds like a great school. Love Alice

      Delete