Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2018

The Dog Ate My Homework--or How My Monday Vaporized

*Set my Rose Gold iPhone alarm for 7:15. Planned to drive Punchy by 9 a.m. from our house so she could sleep a little later vs. schoolbus. We were all tired after returning from Hershey Park near 10 p.m. But I was so sleepy, I reset my alarm several times until I finally got up 8 a.m. and put on Spotify playlist on my iPhone to wake Punchy up.


*Punchy changed her pants two or three times, trying to decide which looked better, the skinny jeans or the gray leggings.

*I threw on my old black Athleta skirt and a nice black V-neck top I bought at STITCH a while ago. My "uniform," as my mother would say about any outfit she liked to wear often.

*We left 9:05 a.m. for school, meaning Punch would have to check in at the main office, get a pass and be a few minutes tardy. I just couldn’t make it on time. Had to pour myself a cup of coffee; pack a quick lunch for her; set her up with Cheerios, banana and milk to eat in the car; give her meds; take my meds; get all my stuff for work into my denim totebag, because I hoped to leave Toyota at mechanic [Jason] and walk right to Joyist to work and then get car at end of day.

*Jason couldn’t take car today but he looked at gas cap and ordered a new one, to arrive later in the week.

*I went to the ATM for cash.

*Dashed to Post Office, one of my favorite, can-do errands, to mail a note to my young writer friend in Montreal [Anne and Michael’s daughter] and some paperwork to my brother Will in NYC. Be on your way, letters; now I had accomplished something tangible.

*Went to CVS to renew Punchy’s RX. Didn’t have paper slip with me. Drove back home to get it.

*Sug jumped up to go out when I got home. Dan was doing a phone interview. Sug had already peed on the wood floor under the dining room table. I let Dan know to clean it up.

*Back to CVS. I always check in at the red machine that spits out coupons when you enter your phone number. Some of them are very good. I saved $11 today. However, the one for $4 off a makeup brand took time, to decide which pretty pot of eye shadow to get. I settled on a beautiful, sparkly silver. #beautyaboveall #evenorespecially #atthedrugstore

*I remembered that Punchy still needed a 3-ring binder and a thicker spiral notebook for math. I selected those from the stationery section.

*When I paid for the RXs and the rest, at the pharmacy counter, I received more coupons on my new receipt. One was for $2 off 2 Starbucks drinks in the refrigerator case, so I went back and found they were also on sale at 2 for $4. I got 4, and used the coupon. This included 2 bottles of unsweetened iced coffee.

*I finally arrived here at Joyist near 1 p.m. I had not eaten breakfast, but for the cup of coffee with a lot of creamy, grass-fed milk. I ordered The Greg, my favorite, made with Java Love cold-brew coffee. Yum. I wanted something to eat with a fork, too, not just sip, so I got a warm grain bowl. Healthy food to counteract the sugar at Hershey yesterday.

*Checked my email.

* I ran into my friend/neighbor Beth and her nice daughter, Figgy’s age, who were also enjoying a grain bowl. We talked about how glad we are the block party came together at the last minute, since no one had volunteered to run it. Beth reminded me of a smart trick her block used to do: one side of the street brings desserts, the other side brings side dishes. Or: Divide based on odd or even number house addresses.

*I updated my pretty new hot pink and lustrous gold Lilly Pulitzer agenda, transferring dates from the old one. In Irish-green, fine-point Sharpie, I wrote the time of every soccer game, dr. appt--oh, and my four-day trip to Miami w Sis starting October 27. She is leaving for Cuba [with a group] from there. She generously paid for my flight, hotel and rental car. I am lucky.

*Since I’m taking Punch for an orthodontic consultation at 4:30 today, I had to fill out all of the new patient forms that had been texted to my cell phone. I didn’t know whether to say we wanted clear or metal braces, so I picked metal, and will ask doctor when we meet.

*Went out and put more coins in my 2-hour parking meter.

*And here it is 3:31 p.m., and I have to dash to bank to make deposit so check doesn’t bounce, then hurry to bus stop to get Punch at 4:03 ish. And that is the alibi--why I didn’t get any work [writing/editing] done yet today.


4 comments:

  1. Been there, done that -Hope today goes better!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a good mommy. :) Just a word of warning, NOTHING has eaten time and money as much as the orthodontist. I feel like we're there every week, but for only about five minutes at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, your comments boost me up. I thank you, my friend, for believing in me as a mother and a writer. Orthodontist said Punch has to wait, still has some baby teeth. But I hear you.....Fig had braces, too....with three kids.....do all need braces? They are all such attractive children. xoxoxo

      Delete