Search This Blog

Monday, October 1, 2018

Good vs. Evil in the Garden of Fashion


Finally posting more about "Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination," at the Metropolitan Museum of Art through Monday, October 8 [Columbus Day]. This time-in-a-bottle, gilded-lily, often haunting exhibit is in three places, not unlike the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. The Anna Wintour Costume Center holds the radiant gold pope adornments; the museum's first floor, near the permanent Medieval and Byzantine Art Gallery, has couture designer pieces; and at the Met Cloisters, a subway, bus, car or taxi ride away from the graceful mother ship, you can see imports from French monasteries. [My sister and I did not get to the Cloisters, not enough time.]

So much to say. So.much.to.say. #somuchtosay

I am a dyed-in-the-wool, baptized-in-the-font Catholic....my faith runs deep. Down to the toes of the itchy navy blue cabled knee socks I wore to Saint Mary's School in Dumont, New Jersey, a working-class town in Bergen County. It touches the tiny silver beads on the rosaries my Italian immigrant grandmother, Rosie, brought back from Rome for all four of her granddaughters--Lin, Sis, Judi and me. Our beads were blessed by the Pope on one of Rosie's pilgrimages [this one in the late 1960s] to the Vatican with her church group.

I was shaken by the exhibit. In awe. Thunderstruck. Disturbed.

Dead Popes Society
We started downstairs, though I see now that the brochure says the pilgrimage should begin on the first floor. Below ground, so rich, so opulent. Hidden. Copes [large open cloaks] so heavy with golden thread that we could not fathom carrying them on our shoulders. A mitre, the tall hat, encrusted with jewels. A stunning amethyst cross, purple and polished. A crucifix with a secret compartment that held a relic--a tiny bone from a dead pope. Relics were occasionally on loan to Saint Mary's when we were girls, too, though they were from saints, not popes.

We also saw shoes worn by Pope John Paul II. And crowns, rings, clasps and an incredibly ornate monstrance, the gold vessel in which the Blessed Sacrament is displayed for genuflection [kneeling, praying, adoring]. Even soft cloth slippers dotted with precious jewels.

It was a Tiffany & Co-worthy treasure trove of rubies, emeralds, sapphires and diamonds, shining, in vain, even after centuries.

All of this, of course, in stark juxtaposition to two deep troubles. One, many of the Italian and French peasants who gave money to the church were poor, yet their male leader was draped in gold, almost obscenely so. And two, the Catholic Church is under scrutiny now for dark abuse of innocent children, and for covering it up and relocating the priests/pastors to other parish assignments, only to have the crimes occur again. The recent Grand Jury report from Pennsylvania was horrifying. Now New York and New Jersey are under the scope, and rightly so. How many generations of devout parents have sent their freshly scrubbed altar boys into the wrong hands? The PA report told of a priest who abused several sisters in one family and another who went to the hospital after a girl had her tonsils out and abused her there.

It is hideous. Yet here, here was beauty. It really was a beautiful collection. Golden and regal and really, fashion in the highest form. Church music played all around us.

Everything in the Costume Center was on loan from the Vatican.

Blessed-Mother Blue and Creepy Black Nunwear
Photo I took last Thursday at the Met. I've been thinking about the exhibit ever since.
For some reason, priests and nuns scared me. They held the secrets, and the power. I got along with them well enough, but those long black, front-button cassocks the priests wore....the gray-blue habit Sister Agnes had, gray-blue like her eyes behind rimless glasses. Lips without lipstick, lashes naked. No legs or ankles showing. So mysterious. Utilitarian. Different. Plain. Foreign to my little-girl world. Why, and what, were they hiding?

Even the Beatles were scared:

Friday night arrives without a suitcase
Sunday morning creeping like a nun
Monday's child has learned to tie his bootlace
See how they run  
                          --"Lady Madonna" lyrics

I admired my mother's gold charm bracelet and perfume bottles. I begged her to wear the sleeveless silver dress with a faux jewel neckline. I wanted her to be pretty.

Sis, whose name is MaryAnne, probably after the Blessed Virgin Mary, was gifted with a statue of her. She was maybe a foot tall, in blue robes, her feet conquering the Devil, the serpent. The statue was on a shelf in the bedroom we shared.

At Saint Mary's, every bride had a separate bouquet to put at the feet of the slender, towering white Virgin Mary statue in her own alcove on the altar.

But here at the Met, wow. I was blown away by the robes and gowns inspired by angels and the Blessed Mother. So ethereal, so feminine and breathtaking in their folds and frills. Now Mary wasn't just Jesus's mother on earth--her gentle style was powerful enough to bring about a whole league of copycat celestial blue confections.

The lineup of black clothing...architectural Dolce & Gabbana shapes inspired by the straight lines of the cross, by hoods and stark habits. The line of gold Versace dresses....I can't capture it all. The Fellini film that featured a fashion show with a priest in a lacy vestment.....that felt a little sacrilegious to me. It just struck a chord.

If you have time, you have to go before Heavenly Bodies leaves. The exhibit design by Diller Scofidio + Renfro is unforgettable. There is even a Heavenly Bodies store. My favorite merchandise was stashed in the very back--large, rich and glittery eye shadow palettes, $125, and sparkly angel-white lip gloss in a tube with a sponge-tip wand, $28, by makeup maven Pat McGrath. The gloss isn't sticky and the wand is perfectly designed, a gift from heaven. My practical Sis, waiting in the wings, indulged my shopping but did say, You don't buy makeup in a museum! But if it's Pat McGrath, you do*.

oh.my.god.

#MetHeavenlyBodies

Pope wear.
*I could not afford the palette, but still regret it. The colors/pigments were so lovely. I did buy the gloss.












8 comments:

  1. wow, Alice, great great write-up. My girls all saw it this summer and loved it. Though I must say as non-Catholics I don't think it vibrated with the meaning it did for you. I loved reading your take. I regret not having caught it. I'm heading to Chicago this weekend so I don't think it's going to happen....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. So cool that your girls all saw it. Figgy didn’t but I wish she had! She’s pretty much a nonbeliever in God these days but she had a Catholic girlhood...the exhibit is riveting. I hope you have a nice weekend in Chicago w M! Love Alice

      Delete
  2. I always like the idea that the community pools resources to have something beautiful in their church. I think something the Catholic Church gets right is the appeal to the non-intellectual faithful thru eyes and nose and ears and hands. Life is beautiful, and we celebrate in our church with paintings and statues and incense and music and glorious words and kneeling and handshakes and eating and drinking. So I never went for the idea that church and mass should be the bare necessities, and all extra money must go to the poor. Everyone should have something beautiful to inspire them.

    But yes, the terrible flip side of the impact on the church leaders who get to lead our devotions, and disburse our money, and wear the gorgeous trappings. Contrary to all they said, they were not faithful custodians, but let pride and ego band them together to hide the unforgivable. I appreciate hearing about the exhibit and, as I said, I am fine with it in the larger sense. But I don’t want to see it right now, it would make me very, very sad.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, such a thoughtful reply. I appreciate it. You’re right, I like our pomp and circumstance, too.,,it’s mystical and magical. And you’re also right, not faithful custodians, some men of the cloth. My friend Maureen, Moey—she said she would get mad seeing this exhibit now, the opulence etc. I can tell you are true to your faith and cherish it. And btw, if my parents were still living, or my grandmothers, I wonder if I would write so candidly and critically about our Church now. It’s my legacy,

      Delete
  3. You delivered. I knew you would. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post helped me appreciate the exhibit so much more than I did when I saw it with my sisters and brothers-in-law. I'm not Catholic and I didn't need to be for chunks of it to feel disrespectfully, rather than saucily irreverent. Seeing it through a devoted Catholic's (your) eyes was fascinating. And I loved the images of your itchy knee socks and silver-beaded rosaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, thank you! That exhibit was really something. Yes it must be a horse of another color for nonCatholics! Xo Alice

      Delete