Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2018

APPLAUSE & BOO

APPLAUSE
  • Made really good Peanut Butter Banana Waffles from September issue of Martha Stewart Living Magazine. Here is the LINK. No sugar, no flour, so yum. I made them vegan for Figgy, using egg replacer powder from the baking aisle instead of real eggs. The powder made the mix kind of gummy; had to whisk a lot to blend it with the mashed bananas. These are packed with protein; Figgy loved. It's really different to have a hard-working, overextended college student living at home. Biology major. Friends. Study groups. Boyfriend. Job at lab on campus and stationery store in town. Baby sitting. Paying for her own education now. Doing art commissions, such as one of plankton for the campus lab and one of brains for Dan's upcoming book. Little sister pleading for her to do her hair. Drinking lots of coffee. Going to gym on campus. Ornithology field trips on many Saturdays [I'm jealous]. Not necessarily in that order. So I was pleased to make a high-protein waffle she liked. I was overextended in college, too, between classes, studying, friends, boyfriend and many hours at The Daily Targum newsroom. But my parents were not privy to my burning the candle on both ends. I was about a 1.5-hour car ride away, not up the attic staircase. They would see me when I came home for the holidays! "Well, luckily, she is 23," Dan said. "You were working at Woman's Day by then."
  • Walked almost 20 minutes in the heavy rain. I had dropped Punch at CCD, and it's one hour. Strolled along Norwood, through puddles etc. Then dashed to Whole Foods for a gallon of organic milk, peanut butter, bananas, cashews--and a big bottle of white vinegar, an effective natural household cleaner. It works well with a stiff brush on our ceramic shower tile.
  • Healthy parts of dinner I cooked: red and orange peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil, applesauce, salmon. 
BOO  [mindlessly eating junk, my weak link]
  • Finished the end of excellent raspberry jelly donut ($3) that Punch got at Montclair Bread Company. She left it on the dining room table and I swooped in. At least it was artfully, carefully made--not an airy impostor injected with ordinary jam. I did not buy a donut for myself, but did not stop myself from eating 1/4 of hers. Sigh. 
  • Ate a granola bar.
  • Ate a few vegan coconut cookies that were lying around.
  • 2 bowls of sugary cereal--Puffins [bought for Punchy] and Special K with almonds.
I do not like going crazy, erratically eating off the grid. I hope for a healthier day tomorrow. Good night to you.

8 comments:

  1. Your oldest sounds absolutely kickass - glad you took time to make her something special. I also am helpless in the face of something delicious being right there. But this is still the week that you got a bike AND rode it, gotta have perspective!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Liz. Figgy is kickass, yes, thank you on her behalf, but still manages to be a kick in the pants sometimes. As in last night. Private. TGIF and have a good day. Thanks. Xx

      Delete
    2. Ps. Thanks for support re keep things in perspective!

      Delete
  2. You're such a good mommy … those waffles sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. Can you tell me how you handle sweet treats in the house for the kids? Are you tempted to eat them? Do you limit sweets in house? Xx

      Delete
    2. Ugh. I don't limit them much. I feel like they eat mostly healthy food, so I'm pretty lax about the less healthy food. However, there are lots of good reasons to limit sugar. Teeth are probably at the top of the list. I should probably crack down, but the whole balance of trying not to create forbidden foods, encourage all things in moderation, feed those rapidly growing bodies, etc., is really, REALLY tough.

      Delete
  3. And p.s. … I feel like I've cut back a little on sugar. I could cut back a lot more. There are certain junk foods that I would never touch -- TastyKakes, for example. There are others that I would definitely binge on -- candy corn! So, I guess I try not to stock too many things that I'm afraid of overeating, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you and really appreciate your replies. Right, don’t want to create forbidden foods idea that can backfire. And my friend says that, too—she doesn’t buy goodies that she likes. It’s such a balancing act, truly. Here’s to my surviving Halloween without stealing many reese’s Pb cups from her sack. Xo

      Delete