Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Beet Goes On

I made "brownies" today to scratch my baking itch, using high-quality unsweetened chocolate. Instead of pouring in 2 cups of white sugar as in the big pan of Baker’s One-Bowl Brownies loved by both my mom and Punch, I folded in fresh, puréed organic beets, a little Crown maple sugar and some applesauce. 

I ran out to my book group and told Dan and Punch to take them out of the oven in 15 minutes. I fibbed, saying they were  red velvet brownies. Poor Punchy peeked in the oven and said they looked good.

I didn’t fool anyone, but they are very moist and easy to cut, and vegan. Pretty red velvet tint. I froze the squares, hoping they might taste better chilled?

You win some, you lose some. I didn’t have all of the ingredients healthy recipe called for, including liquid from canned chickpeas, so made some substitutions.

Good night.

$MSOOP

  • $43 on groceries. Canned tuna, mayo, organic beets, unsweetened chocolate, 2 packs fresh green beans to steam for book group, bananas and Tate’s Chocolate Chip Cookies, Punchy’s favorite.
  • $10 for 2 raffle tix for friend’s son’s sports fundraiser.

Total: $53.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, vegan recipes seldom match one to one. I had the same experience with vegan chocolate cookies - first disappointed because they didn’t taste just like regular chocolate cookies. But ending up eating them all once my expectation changed. Better to wait until you are jonesing for something sweet, then it tastes better. These changes are hard!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Agreed. Some vegan recipes contain a lot of sugar. This one called for coconut sugar, but I didn't have it, and then on top of that, I cut down on the amt I used of maple sugar. Punch said, "Did you put any sugar in them?" LOL. This recipe was not from the great book from you and Nan, which we love. Annie and her boyfriend made the fettuccine Alfredo the other night [using mushrooms, some kind of yeast, I forget what else] from the book and loved it. I agree, it was tasty. God bless an author who can make mock fettuccine Alfredo for vegans!

      Delete