Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2019

Good Night, Gorgeous Maine

We head home tomorrow morning. It's such a pretty time of year here.

Today, Dan, Punch and I day-tripped through Lincolnville and into storybook Camden. We went up [on the motor road] to Mount Battie in Camden Hills State Park. The fee at the entrance booth is less [$4 each] for Maine residents; out-of-staters age 12 and up, $6 each, so it was $18.

Sooooooooo beautiful. The weathered bronze plaque with the verse from "Renascence," the poem by Mainer Edna St. Vincent Millay. The blueberries growing low and wild--I could clearly see Figgy in her Baby Gap aquamarine romper with daisy-strewn pattern scrambling around the mountainside and eating some. Her favorite book was Blueberries for Sal, based in Maine.

I see younger me, too, with hair not yet blonded, with a much slimmer frame, the me who worked full-time in NYC and cherished these breaks with my family. I would count out every day.

Another summer, Dan, Figgy and I camped in Camden Hills State Park. I think Sug may have been with us, too.

I loved being there with Dan and Punch today.  I felt closer to my Punch. We were out in sweeping nature. Even a child with ADHD can relate to that and take it in--though she did scramble ahead of us down the mountain, toward the cove, as she had on another occasion there. Dan watched her, calling that she must come back, and she scooted up.

Believe it or not, I have to do some work now, send an email with questions to a shop owner in Paris!

I'm giving myself a Hail Mary pass [I know I'm not using the football term the way it was intended, but I like the wording] on retracing my spending Friday/Saturday/Sunday, since I got sick. Starting again today.

TCOY
  1. Ice water. Filled my cup, brought it in car.
  2. Breathing in that view at Mount Battie*...that spectacular view. It's the most beautiful view I have ever seen. I never tire of it.
  3. Actually used sunscreen. Felt soft, not sticky and icky.
  4. No chips, no fries--no taste from the Wise bags that came with our sandwiches at Camden Deli. And at Darby's Restaurant, I picked up a couple of the fries that came with Dan's lobster roll and put them back down. Like a plane lifting its wheels and lowering them again, hovering over his plate. I would like to sign off on chips and fries. Or as my friend would say, I choose to sign off on chips and fries. And not eating sugar allowed me to be much more present with my family today. I'm grateful for the clarity to see that. I used to succumb to the decadent desserts at Camden Deli. They are pretty dreamy. But those dreams are behind me. I have new dreams now.
  5. Thanks to tips from Dan's brother John, we went in Camden to the Curtis Lighthouse Overlook and Laite Beach, a little public beach where Dan took a swim. Both were tranquil and soul-soothing. John, thank you so much for those diamonds.
  6. Punchy and I went to see "The Secret Life of Pets 2" as guests at Michael and Therese's movie theater in Belfast. We loved it. So funny and cute. Excellent voices by Harrison Ford, Patton Oswalt, Tiffany Haddish, Dana Carvey and others.
$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET
  • Camden Deli, expensive, three sandwiches [with pickles and chips], three drinks and a chocolate mousse cup for Punch, $44.
  • Snacks at movie theater, but the nice fellow at the counter gave me a discount since we are family, plus $1 jar tip, $9.
  • Oh hell, I can remember what I spent Saturday, at the Belfast Farmers' Market, which I loved. Pink beeswax candles, $7; large iced coffee, about $3; half-gallon local milk, $4; jerk chicken and rice about $10; half-dozen mini cupcakes from CupKate's of Maine, $7; dozen farm eggs, $4.50; pack freshly baked crumpets, $4; and a small "Grab and Go" glass vase with snapdragons and stock flowers in it, $7. Total, $46.50.
  • And yesterday, when I was sick. Dan, Punch and John were out on Mike's canoe, and I walked down the hill to the Belfast Co-op but couldn't hold my head up or even eat half a BLT on rye toast. On the way home, Dan's brother Pat drove by when I was sitting on a bench in front of the library and gave me a ride home--and it was such a short walk. Anyway, I always love my Co-op. Quart organic strawberries [from California, not quite strawberry season here yet]; BLT; iced coffee; gift for Sis; pint organic raw local cream to go with berries; half-pound Kate's Butter; 6-pack white verbena flowers to plant at home; crunchy PB; raspberry jam; one Endangered Species dark chocolate bar; $50.01.
MY TOTAL SPEND FOR SATURDAY/SUNDAY/MONDAY IN MAINE: $149.51. [This doesn't count Dan's/our spends on gasoline, Darby's dinner etc. But that's when he took the dough from his wallet.]
RUNNING TOTAL FOR MONTH AS OF JUNE 24: $3,371.76.
AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $140.49.

MONEY THOUGHTS: Big June spends include LillyPulitzer.com dress, tech sleeve 
for laptop, market tote, $154; Vamp salon cut, color and shampoo product, $271; 
gift, $80; Ubers while our only car was in shop for 4 days; 
Joyist, school morning, $37; teachers' toasts tickets, $74; 
teachers' gift contribution, $40; Aerin sale at Williams-Sonoma, $78; blowout 
June 14, $45; 15-class yoga pass, $285; Maggie's Organics, 3 items clothing plus Dan,
$107; Local Coffee, beans plus etc., $31; CVS good sunscreen sale plus, $79; Aveda
lipstick, $24; taking Sis to lunch in NYC June 17, $75; Cornerstone General Store,
graduation gifts for Punch plus more, $136; Punch acrylic mani for grad gift plus tip, $61; La Couronne Italian dinner, $48; Villa Victoria delivery plus tip, $43; Belfast Co-op, coffee, BLT and groceries/Sis gift, $50; Belfast Farmers' Market, $47; and Camden Deli, $44.

KEEPING AN EYE ON PAST MONTHS

MAY TOTAL SPEND: $2,348.24.
MAY AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $75.75. 

APRIL TOTAL SPEND: $3,634.28.
APRIL AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $121.14.

*Here's what maine.gov says:
  • Mount Battie Trail
    biking hiking horseback riding cross-country skiing snowshoeing
    (0.5 mile, moderate): Offers a relatively short, but very rewarding hike up the south-facing side of the mountain. Although there are some steep pitches, and a bit of scrambling through rock and ledge areas is required, the view over Camden and the islands dotting Penobscot Bay makes this climb well worth the effort. Ascending the stone tower on Mount Battie's 780' summit further enhances the opportunity to soak in the 360-degree panorama.

2 comments:

  1. You are too funny - o hell, I remember what I spent. See what a good habit you have created!
    Will’s grad party this past weekend, said goodbye to MA fam Sunday, Ca Fam last night, FL fam tonight. It has been wonderful.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sounds like a great gathering. I'm so glad! Hooray!

      Delete