Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Slice of Heaven in the Hamptons: Monday & Tuesday Catch-up

Electricity was back on by about 1 p.m. yesterday [tree fell around 7 p.m. the night before, and it was very hot and very hard to sleep] but internet still out and I haven't been in town to post. I was cleaning my office for hours again today. It feels good.

Yesterday was my annual day-trip to the Hamptons, the one I do when Punch is on an extended summer visit with Mimi. Dan came one year, but usually prefers not to do 3 hours one way and then turn around and come back. He stays behind and works.

For me, the sunset over Road D Beach in Southampton is just so beautiful. I feel like I am touching heaven, or seeing what it would be like. I can't put my cell phone down, for the camera. Everywhere I turn, another expanse of beauty. Pinks, purples, oranges, blues.....as I told a couple of women friends tonight, I want to tap into this striking beauty when dealing with complicated or trying issues. I need a well to tap into so my spirit does not run dry.

I also love exploring and observing in Southampton....the fancy stores, the history, the people. Too late, in the dark of night, I discovered the Gretchen Scott store on Jobs Lane, with a 30 percent sale in the window. Those colors and styles, so pretty.

Not that I had money to spend there, but I like to take the lay of the land, see things in person, touch them, gauge how sizes run.

Did not know that back home, one of my writing paychecks and one of Dan's had both arrived in the mail basket. It's ok!

Punchy comes back to us tomorrow eve.

TCOY
  1. Cleaning my office, sorting, tossing things.
  2. Seeing my slice of heaven at the edge of Southampton. Standing with my feet in the ocean waves as the sun streaked the sky all around me.
  3. Blowout scheduled for tomorrow morning. And then I'm going into NYC to explore some work options. Can't live in my flip flops forever, though it is fun.
$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET MONDAY & TUESDAY

MONDAY
  • Gasoline for drive to Hamptons, $20.
  • George Washington Bridge toll, since our E-ZPass bill was late; paid cash, $15. That's one expensive bridge toll but also one majestic, important bridge.
  • Garden State Parkway tolls, about $3.50.
  • Tate's Bake Shop, one chocolate cupcake and one large iced coffee, about $7.
  • The Golden Pear in Southampton, lunch plus jar tip, about $17.50.
  • Second Nature health food store on Main Street, Hu coffee beans to bring home a taste of my trip and Dr. Hauschka lip care stick, which I love, about $31.
  • Carvel, before long ride home at 9 p.m., small soft vanilla cone plus topping, $6 plus tip, $7. Pricey.
TUESDAY/TODAY
ZERO!

TOTAL DAILY SPEND: $101.
TOTAL MONTHLY SPEND AS OF AUGUST 20: $2,192.75.
AVERAGE DAILY SPEND FOR MONTH SO FAR: $109.63.
[I added in all Cape and travel days now.]
Punch was on Cape for 10 days with us, but then followed by 10 days with Mimi in North Carolina,
Atlantic City etc. So I should try to bring our bill down until she returns Thursday. It is spiking high with Cape Cod spends.

Hot, big-money spends in August, or how I spent our bread:
🥖 Health food store in Southampton, Dr. H. lip balm and Hu coffee beans, $31.
🥖 La Couronne, Montclair, dinner to go for Dan and me while watching Saturday night movie, $66.
🥖 Cafe Giotto, Montclair, dinner w Elaine, my part with tip, $53.
🥖Fill gas tank twice on Cape Cod, $46 x 2= $92.
🥖Idle Times bike shop rental for Punch from noon Saturday until 5 p.m. Sunday, $31.
🥖T.J. Maxx, four designer dresses, Adidas sneakers, knock-off lightweight Burberry scarf, Olga bra, Lauren pillow, shorts, etc. etc., $338.
🥖Pizza+/fancyish restaurant dinner with Punch after swimming in pond in Brewster until after 7 p.m., $77.
🥖Mac's Market & Kitchen, lobster, clams, kale salad, mango salsa and other Sunday dinner ingredients, $53.
🥖Brewster bakery, including cookbook I somehow lost, maybe a message from God because it was packed with recipes for sweets, $25.
🥖2 Massachusetts mugs, one for Cape and one for home, $28.
🥖Commando.com, black half-slip, $65.
🥖Arnold's Lobster & Clam Barfried clam belly basket plus tip, $30.
🥖Pure Vita, the new CBD [not for me] and natural home care store with essential-oil bar and pretty pineapple throw pillow case for Cape house, votive candles, seaweed/lavender bath sachets, $52.
🥖Stop & Shop, Cape groceries, $29 + $40 + $52=$121.
🥖Lobster roll supper with P. at Adams Lodge in Wellfleet, $32.
🥖Eastham info booth, pink sweatshirt, $30.
🥖Mass Audubon annual family membership, $65.
🥖Sunbird breakfast sandwich w citrus mayonnaise on grilled ciabatta plus expensive coffee beans from, of all places, Portland, Maine, plus tip, $27.
🥖Audubon gift shop, small turtle rug for home; bird gift for Figgy; goat milk body wash; Bee Boss Body Balmwhich I love for lips, too; small owl wall calendar for family, with member discount, $88. 
🥖Vineyard Vines, candy-pink gingham skort, orig $98, now on sale for $68.99, plus shipping, $79.
🥖Mac’s Market & Kitchen, lobster, scallops, salmon, lemon, cornbread square, crackers, $49.

COMPARISON SHOPPING. That long Cape Cod vacay in August really drove the numbers up so far.


TOTAL SPEND FOR MONTH OF JULY [STARTING JULY 5; I LOST A FEW DAYS THERE]: $1,610.81. ðŸ‘› 🎯 ⬇️
JULY AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $59.66!  ðŸ‘› 🎯 ⬇️

TOTAL SPEND FOR MONTH OF MAY: $2,348.24.
MAY AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $75.75. 

TOTAL SPEND FOR MONTH OF APRIL: $3,634.28.
APRIL AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $121.14.










No comments:

Post a Comment