Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Oh Come All Ye Faithful--and Fashionable

I hope I'm not a heretic if I tell you that today at 12 o'clock Mass, I spotted some awesome fashions. In between the elements of the Mass--elements I've known my whole life, elements as worn and comfortable as an old shoe--I generally can't help but daydream a little. And today my eye landed on great styles and accessories somewhere between the Lord's Prayer and the recessional hymn.

For instance:
  1. Hadley Pollet ribbon belt, worn with cropped khakis. I adore these belts. I have one somewhere, but I think it was scooped up and put in storage. Something to look forward to when I get back home. Link to reversible belt on sale [it's usually $98]: http://hadleypollet.com/detail:shop/4,2,3/.
  2. Louis Vuitton handbag. The same woman who had on #1 had this bag, no bigger than a little loaf of bread, with a short strap, over her shoulder. It looked cute. Hey, that loaf of bread analogy kind of ties into the loaves and fishes story, doesn't it?
  3. Tory Burch Reva flat in camel with taupe signature logo. [I didn't want to stare too much, the woman was walking up to Communion, but I think that was the color combination. Looked really chic with full-length pants.] I've been wanting a pair of Revas but a.] have to wait till I have the dough and b.] can't decide between the colors and textures [metallic, patent, etc. in silver, orange, black, brown, etc.]. And for all my hunting, I'd never seen that version before. Link: http://www.toryburch.com/p-118578-POWDER-SUEDE-REVA-BALLERINA-FLAT.aspx?cid=697.
This will sound really, really shallow, but in addition to remembering today a lot of other reasons why I like my Montclair parish--the families I've known for years, the traditions [like Christmas Corners], the songs, Father Jack--I was also pleased to face facts: Mass yields some good fashion sightings. I guess it's okay if the house of God is also a house of style sometimes. Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this. I always notice shoe styles as people go up to communion and I'm supposed to be praying, head bowed. And I do feel kind of sacrilegious about it. Glad I’m not the only one who does this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, Alice! I wouldn't worry. We were given the ability to observe and take notice of the beauty around us, so what if it's in the form of a purse or pair of shoes. :)

    Thanks for your comment on Carolyn's guest post. Am so happy that worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lin....I am glad I am not the only one. It is impossible to attend church in a vacuum. :) Ellen, thanks for the comment! I will be checking out your blog more. It was nice meeting you. yes, Carolyn's blog is pretty awesome--i really like the way she writes about food.....best, alice

    ReplyDelete