Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

TV Hall of Fame

I loved this TV series from the late 60s. I was about seven.
Now kids absorb Dora and SpongeBob, but my mom tuned
the dial to I Love Lucy and The Mothers-in-Law for me.
Too bad we didn't have a color TV.
Can't believe it's the season finale of Mad Men already. I can't wait till 10 o'clock. But then I have to wait and wait all over again for the next season!

This show will go down in my memory as entertainment that helped shape my life, adding joy and endless fascinating details. Just like these other shows that transported me to another time and/or place, carrying me off the cracked black leather couch in Dumont, or the Jennifer Convertibles sofa in my Ocean Grove apartment and then our Montclair living room:
  • I Love Lucy
  • The Andy Griffith Show
  • Mothers-in-Law [with Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard]
  • Hazel
  • My Three Sons
  • The Courtship of Eddie's Father
  • Family Affair
  • Get Smart [a show Dad and I loved watching together]
  • My Mother the Car
  • Mr. Ed
  • My Favorite Martian
  • The Flying Nun
  • Green Acres
  • Petticoat Junction
  • The Beverly Hillbillies
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Bewitched
  • That Girl
  • The Partridge Family
  • The Brady Bunch
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  • The Waltons
  • The Love Boat [when I was baby-sittting Joseph and Frankie on Saturday nights]
  • Fantasy Island [ditto]
  • All My Children [a couple of summers]
  • Family Ties
  • Murder, She Wrote
  • Columbo
  • The Wonder Years
  • Twin Peaks
  • Six Feet Under
  • Ugly Betty
  • Desperate Housewives [though I've tuned out this season]
God, guess TV shaped me more than I realized. Shoulda been reading more. Have I missed any of your favorites? Hope you'll tell me.

Here's my ode to Mad Men from February: http://insearchoftruthandbeauty.blogspot.com/2010/02/true-happiness-mad-men.html.

13 comments:

  1. I don't watch much TV, so I'm usually Johnny come lately to any party, starting to watch seasons later. I haven't, for instance, seen Mad Men, yet. But here are things I remember watching with some regularity:

    The Flintstones (my favorite cartoon, because fred reminded me of my dad!)
    Lost in Space
    Love American Style (a babysitting thing, too)
    Mash
    The Odd Couple
    General Hospital (for a year or 2)
    Hill Street Blues (watched it with friends in San Francisco)
    Thirtysomething
    ER (in its heyday, when George Clooney was on)
    Friends (watched it often enough when it was one, watched it even more on DVD with my girls)
    Seinfeld
    Sopranos (prob my very favorite series of all times; like an epic novel)
    Sex and the City
    American Idol (came to this in season 4, was hooked. still watch long after my kids have grown bored with it)
    Big Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Kim....thank you for the list.......thank you for reminding me....i watched all of those too except Hill Street Blues and ER and only watched American Idol sometimes. You are so right! Thirtysomething! how could I forget that? and The Odd Couple. I loved it. But like I said, i maybe should have been reading more. ;) wait, just wait,until you start watching Mad Men! does that mean F. hasn't watched it either? he too will be absolutely fascinated b/c of the client/agency/ad campaign stuff...H. did not start watching it till about a month ago and now he is hooked too and got Season 1 on DVD. :) alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DVRed (if that's a verb) Mad Men and just watched it this morning with my second cup of coffee. Wow. That sure ended with a twist.

    I love your comprehensive list and Kim's additions. I just wanted to mention The Honeymooners. My father loved that show and I remember him laughing hysterically at it while it broadcast on our round-screened, black and while console when I was a kid. Also, your brother, JJ, used to like to watch F Troop on Nona's TV when he came to visit. That was just about the only thing that I could stand watching with him. Everything else he chose to look at was cowboys and indians stuff. Then I just went upstairs to our TV.

    And what ever happened to Ugly Betty this season?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind. I didn't even know that UB was cancelled. I just looked it up. That's how much TV gossip I pay attention to. Lin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started watching 6 feet under from the beginning with Y. this past summer. we finished season 1 and I can't wait for her to come home over xmas so we can catch up a bit on season 2. she (and F) bough me the entire series for my bday at the end of the summer. The funny thing about 6 feet under is that you don't really catch reruns, so it all felt fresh again. what an amazing show.

    great point, alice, about mad men and F. agency/client thing. Hmm... a xmas gift in the making to him (and secretly us, too). this season was just season 2, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, good lord now the memories are starting. how about all in the family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda-thank you so much for sharing your memories of my brother J. Because he is lost to us by circumstance or choice, i really appreciate these glimpses you give me of him. how interesting! i think F troop was on in our house, too. i never liked that, or Hogan's Heroes, too much, but others had them on. I love the stories of JJ going over to visit you all. do you think he would sleep over at least once a month? sundays at our house, my dad would watch The Bowery Boys or the Little Rascals with my brothers sometimes. Those did not interest me even a tiny bit. and my dad has always loved Jacques Costeau [spelling?] and animal channels. I meant to add the Honeymooners. I am glad Uncle Aldo liked that, too. love alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim--how cool that they got you the whole Six Feet Under series. That was a show I loved. This was Mad Men season 4. i did not watch it from the very beginning....it wasn't till i started to read articles in the Times and magazines about the show that I had to start! have watched at least two full seasons on Sunday nights. and yes, back to childhood/girlhood all in the family, the jeffersons, maude, the list goes on and on and on....that's what i mean...i don't think our kids will remember this many shows they liked? love alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I forgot that. Your brother used to watch The Bowery Boys with Uncle Anthony, too. I didn't much like it either, but wanted to hang out with my cousin so... In answer to how often he stayed over downstairs, I think it was mostly on school vacations like Easter, over Christmas vacation and summertime. Sis would stay at different times. I think it was to give your mom a break and to so they could get doted on by Nona (especially JJ).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that you like stories and memories of JJ, and if something triggers one, I'm happy to share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, room 222! and now that makes me think of welcome back, Kotter and the Sweathogs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i can't believe that I also forgot the Dick Van Dyke Show! about writers...and a pretty wife with a flipped hairdo and a nice modern oven in the kitchen......and Sally, with that signature black bow in her hair...and the unforgettable theme music.

    ReplyDelete