Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

Tangled

I untangled the strawberry runners and the nasturtium, the moonflower* vines and the bone-dry dwarf pink zinnias. While I was in Maine, they got all intertwined in my white wrought-iron flower box, along with purple petunias. I put too many things in at once, in too small a space. That's what I do sometimes. I get scattered, and my seeds get scattered, too.

I figured that since the moonflower is a vine, it would wrap itself around the scrolled wrought iron. And that the strawberry runners would go their own way, not get tangled in and choke the zinnias.

I was wrong. Things need space and some undivided attention to thrive and bloom. They can't when they're cramped and crowded and neglected and I, as the gardener, don't weed and prune and deadhead.

In a relationship, if the blooms and berries still find a way to bear fruit, great. But if they can't, in a mire of tangles and dried petals, what then?

Thanks for listening. Good night.

*Burpee's definition: Giant-size, morning-glory-type trumpets open at dusk instead of dawn and have a beautiful fragrance. The lemony-scented flowers are 5 1/2" wide and appear from midsummer to frost.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp in the park.
  2. Got turkey to make sandwich.
  3. Paid some bills.
  4. Walked Sug around block once.
  5. Read essays by E.B. White and took a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment