Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Gold-Dusted Healthy Snacks

Rich person's nibble.
I've been trying to make healthier food choices. Having a silver spoon in my mouth [though I'm not sure how it got there], I have stumbled across two very expensive healthy foods. I have seen them before and resisted--too costly. But now I tried them. I will try to resist again, because the price is so high in relation to number of serving sizes. But here they are:

ChocoHigos. Small dried figs hand-dipped in dark chocolate. Made in Valencia, Spain. The 4.9-ounce package [about five small servings] was $10.99 today @ Whole Foods. "I'm afraid to find out the price," I said to the woman working the coffee bar counter. "But I think it's worth it," she said. I have to say they are delicious. About one ounce weighs in @ 82 calories, 1.5 grams fat and 4.5 grams fiber. The fruit is petite and plump, the chocolate dark and seductive. [I see another package with same name on amazon.com for $11.99.]

Brad's Raw Leafy Kale. These "chips" are addictive. Figgy and H. liked them, too. A young man from the company, based in Bucks County, PA, was at Kings offering samples when I stopped in after church Sunday. I told him I had never bought them because of the price tag--$7 or more for a plastic container of two servings. He said that if you try to make them yourself, it would cost even more. Each serving is a full bunch of kale, de-stemmed, he said. I now see many recipes on the internet and one from Eating Well. Perhaps I will make some.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Pesky periodontist appt.--but had to face the music and get a cost estimate for implant.
  2. Ran into my sweet friend Nicky @ Whole Foods and we sat and talked a little.
  3. Walked Sug around block twice.
  4. Made vegetarian chili and turkey chili with lots and lots of H.'s good garden tomatoes and smoky chipotle chile pepper.
  5. Private Benjamin--got some good ideas for staying on track with work.
  6. Met two supportive friends for coffee and conversation.




No comments:

Post a Comment