Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Death by Chocolate, for a Sweet Cause

The Unitarian Universalist [UU] Congregation of Montclair has great annual fundraising auctions. Two years ago, my friend Anne bid on the Death by Chocolate party and brought me as a guest. This year, I bid on it and brought her. Tickets, $25 each. [The auction was before Christmas.]

The party is open to eight people and hosted every year by the same couple in town. The fire roars, and the table is set with home-baked treats that the hostess has made--this year, an oblong dacquoise*, an old-fashioned layer cake, shortbread hearts and dark little cookie morsels. [I still remember the chocolate tart from last time, too.] There is hot coffee and red wine. It is very pleasant and relaxing to sit by the fire and talk and sip.

I met some new people tonight--including a couple who moved here from the South--and heard some new viewpoints about our town, and gardening, and schools, and shopping. Plus I got to see my friend. Montclair is smaller in my eyes after my night by the fire.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp. Tough.
  2. Walked Puff around the block.
  3. Fell off wagon a bit and then faced the music by logging in and accounting for everything. What more can I do?
*Per wikipedia; "A dacquoise is a dessert cake made with layers of almond and hazelnut meringue and whipped cream or buttercream.It takes its name from the feminine form of the French word dacquois, meaning 'of Dax', a town in southwestern France....A particular form of the dacquoise is the marjolaine , which is long and rectangular and combines almond and hazelnut meringue layers with chocolate buttercream."

No comments:

Post a Comment