Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Haute Cocoa

This afternoon at around 2:30--when I had hoped to meet my former boss and dear friend, but she wasn't up to it--I did something I've wanted to do for years. I went to La Maison du Chocolat for hot chocolate.  

"I only have the dark one today," the friendly server at the 49th street/Rockefeller Center boutique said. That was fine by me--though if you have a taste for sweeter, milder cocoas, this would be too intimidating and adult. I enjoyed its intoxicating taste. I sat on a stool at the counter and time stopped. I read a magazine, sipped, relaxed, listened to the man behind me talking on his cell phone. I thought of the movie "Chocolat" [year 2000] and the rich, melty sips Juliette Binoche prepared for Judi Dench. Remember that? She seemed to stir magic into the cup.

The lady here filled a little white china coupe with thickly whipped cream and presented my precious treat in a white cup and saucer with a chocolate-brown paper napkin. She suggested I have something with it. I tried to resist, but no regrets. I had the chocolate eclair. It was kind of slender--not fat and puffy--and perfect, with a ribbon of rich chocolate filling. The cost: Hot Caracas, $8, and eclair, $6.50.

Happy Birthday to me....almost. My birthday is this coming Monday.

Good night, sweet dreams, on a pillow of fluffy whipped cream.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my. Just hearing you talk about it makes me so happy. This sounds utterly sublime and totally the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be "write" of course, not "talk".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nan! Thanks for the note. I did really enjoy it, had wanted to do that for a long time. And now I did it. But now I am on a tight budget so.....I hope all is well with you and yours....all the best, alice

    ReplyDelete