Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

My Sister, My Friend

I remember Sis reading me fairy tales at bedtime.
Today Sis and Don drove over from Connecticut to take me, H. and Figgy out for my birthday. I took her to the restorative yoga class @ Yoga Montclair first. I was glad she was there. Her back has been  hurting her, and I worry. She works hard. The Manhattan hospital where she works was flooded and has been closed since Hurricane Sandy, so ever since, she has had to drive to Queens and elsewhere...it will be a while till the hospital reopens. And I worry that--like me--she can carry tension in her back, like a big stressful bread knot.

Then we all went out to Saluté, a Montclair restaurant we've never tried. The brick-oven pizzettes were delicious---H., Fig and I were all drawn to the one with gorgonzola and figs, except H. got his without the prosciutto. Also: yummy cheese plates, excellent grilled octopus [something Sis and Figgy had in Greece] and rock shrimp in a delectable sauce. But I must say the cappuccino left something to be desired.

This is what life should taste like, Figgy said, mopping up the last bit of sauce on the grilled octopus plate.

H. even brought a chocolate layer cake from the bakery, and they sang Happy Birthday. I wished for good health, and to sit with them all again next year. I am thankful for my generous sister. The person who read me fairy tales when I was little, and left notes on my pillow if she had to go babysit at night. How lucky we are. Good night.

TCOY
  1. Restorative yoga class with Sis.
  2. Nap.
  3. Bill organizing and paying tonight. Trying to make life more streamlined. One day I shall succeed.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you got to celebrate your special day with people you love. I agree; sisters are the best friends. And the pizza sounds really good... with or without the prosciutto. Have a Happy Birthday, Alice!!! Love, Linny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!
    Love, Celia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Dear Alice!!!
    xxx000
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice, I hope you have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Love Always, Meg in VT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much, Lin, Celia, Candy and Meggy....i am grateful for you and your sweet wishes. love alice

    ReplyDelete