- Set oven to 375 degrees. Fill one or more rimmed cookie sheets/baking pans with butternut squash chunks, as many as you want to roast. They shrink.
- Scatter with chopped garlic [I use jarred] and S&P. Pour ample olive oil over.
- Meanwhile, cut up 2 small onions or 1 jumbo. Caramelize in skillet; takes a while. I would use butter and olive oil, but Figgy is vegan, so I just use olive oil.
- Roast squash until golden brown. I don't turn it, but maybe I should. Remove from oven.
- [Get the good dried chorizo link from behind the cheese counter at Whole Foods. They have to weigh it. I get 1 curved link.] Slice chorizo into coins and heat in a little olive oil. Set aside.
- Puree squash and caramelized onions with some chicken or veg broth in food processor; I do in batches because my processor is small. Place puree in large soup pot.
- Add more broth [Sadie uses chicken broth] and some bouillon [I have veg. bouillon in a jar] to get right soup consistency.
- Cook over low heat until blended; season with S&P to taste.
- Serve in bowls topped with sliced green scallions, chorizo coins and feta cheese chunks or a dollop of crème fraîche. Punchy loves to stir a fair amount of crème fraîche into her bowl.
- I might add a little white cooking wine this time!
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Butternut Squash Soup for a Winter's Day
I just sent this recipe to my friends Rachael and Sue. It comes from Sadie, a stylish/artistic/smart/beautiful/teacher/mommy-of-many friend who posted it with an alluring photo [yum] on Instagram. I tweaked it a bit.
My family and I love this. I kind of just eyeball it, as Sadie wrote rough directions in her Insta caption. It's good!!!!!
Hope you like it! xoxox Alice