Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

An American in Paris

Madeline knows so much about Paris. I bought the books to read with Figgy. Skipper didn’t like them as much, I don’t think. LINK here.

I was in Paris once--in 1983, when Moey and I went with a group of her University of Delaware friends after our college graduation. We saw 14 countries in 21 days on a tour!

It was really great and really fun.

Now that I find myself writing about far-flung designs for aspire design and home, I am becoming a bit of a Parisian expert, I daresay.

It really makes me want to go back. All I really remember (I was 22):

  • The "Mona Lisa" was much smaller than expected.
  • Croissants.
  • Trip to Versailles gardens.
  • Bidet in hotel room.
  • Notre-Dame Cathedral.
  • Eiffel Tower.
I think that’s it? But now, now! I have read and written about the flea markets, the remarkable finds there, the patisseries, the intricacies of the Eiffel Tower, the boutiques, the 7th arrondissement. Style. I have written about style. 

Now I have such a different eye. Now I would look for that JE NE SAIS QUOI--the twist of a scarf, the length of the skirt, the shape of the shoe. The flip of the hair. The perfume bottle stoppers. The eyeliner.  The baguettes. The architecture. The colors. The wineglasses. The fountains. The bouquets and the nosegays. Just everything. And Dan was talking about great flight prices to Paris but then--COVID.

Good night.

4 comments:

  1. My coordinator booked a flight in April because the prices are soooo cheap. She insured it. Everyone is expecting a lull in variants.... Just a thought!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Paris, Italy, and Greece the summer of 1983, so funny to think we could have passed each other in the street. It’s my best trip, and I have had some wonderful ones, but that trip was the best. I also think I would see the same sights so differently now…
    Liz

    ReplyDelete