Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2022

Wakeup Call: You Can Run, But You Can’t Hide


Above: Picture these beautiful orange cups and saucers--echoing brilliant leaf colors in Lenox, Massachusetts--in generous latte sizes. I sat outside and nursed my cupful at Lenox Coffee, on Main Street.

I stole away to the Berkshire Mountains, a glorious range in Massachusetts, for two nights by myself.

It wasn’t really stealing or sneaking, because I let my family know. But it was a determined plan to get away alone  and nurture myself. 

I overpacked, as usual, with high hopes for doing my nails (nope) and reading from a stack of five books. Oh, the glory of road trips, no TSA inspections, just pile on the scarves and books and CPAP machine, no hassles.

I came looking for inner peace and perspective, and I found some. 

Was it in the meditation class at 5:30 p.m.? The facial, with steam on my face and a rich lip dip at the end? (I wanted to buy that lip salve, but I think the tiny jar was about $70 before tax. Still, I’m not dismissing it entirely. It felt so plump and pillowy,  and in the light of the boutique, the magical balm seemed to glisten with a hint of gold.) 

I planned not to talk about my consuming worries about Punch on this getaway. To stop getting lost in them. To stay in the present, in the moment. I did pretty well, though did talk to my longtime friend Candy, who lives not far from here, and this morning, to Jay and Anthony, two young men running the hotel’s front desk. It was quiet, and they were kind.

Sometimes it’s good to talk to strangers, who don’t know you and your story at home, Jay said.

Yes.

But I’ve found that in general, I overshare too much in life and I can’t afford to do that anymore because I lose myself and swim in worry. It is never too late to learn to be a better listener and less of a talker.

It's time to pack up, shower, lug the bags back to the car. I think I will try to visit "The Mount," Edith Wharton’s estate nearby, before heading home. The foliage is so pretty everywhere I turn.

Praying for peace and acceptance and the continued ability to shower every day, meditate, walk in nature, do my writing assignments and allot a few minutes for my makeup (concealer and mascara, a bit of foundation).

Practicing self-care helps soften our footprint in the world, so we are not so scared, reactionary, off-course. Steady as she goes.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds just right. So glad you took this break. I hope re-entry has gone smoothly.
    xoxo,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds soooo right. We all need to recharge occasionally. I'm going to a little yoga retreat this weekend. A friend from high school runs it. I'll let you know, Alice, the next time it comes up. It's pretty affordable and not as luxe as your experience, but very relaxing and lovely. --Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scared, reactionary, off course or self care and steady as she goes. Good thoughts, Alice!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan Kim Liz. thank you I’m trying, failing, trying, floundering, trying again.....πŸ’ŒπŸ’ŒπŸ’Œ

    ReplyDelete