Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Best Movie Ever

Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway* are awesome--
as are Stanley Tucci and Emily Blunt. 
We own The Devil Wears Prada [2006] on DVD. The other morning, Figgy had it on before she left for school at 7:25 A.M. I couldn't resist watching it to the end, until 8:20.

Tonight, I just indulged in the deleted scenes, the gag reel and the trailer--plus the interview with costume designer Patricia Field, director David Frankel and screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna. The movie speaks to me so much. What an incredible time capsule and work of art.

I'm nearing 50, but still hold in my heart the thrill of being a young woman starting out in NYC's exciting magazine world. I don't think I'll ever let it go. I'm still passionate about writing for magazines, about seeing my articles in print on the glossy page [or now, on the web], about being in magazine offices.

While this movie was filming, I walked past one of the set trailers--in the Fashion District--on my way to the communications firm I worked at.

So many things in the story and cinematography resonate with me, especially:
  • Being a young woman from outside NYC starting out as a glorified secretary for an imperious editor. My first day @ Woman's Day involved a frantic call from the editor-in-chief's assistant about bags the editor needed and phone calls to order several pairs of size 11N shoes for my tall boss, the fashion editor. When the snippy assistant was panicked about bags, I honestly thought she meant bag bags, not handbags. I was clueless.
  • Having a boss who delivered some withering comments, just like Meryl Streep does as Miranda Priestly. She once told me when I asked to speak to her, If you tell me you got another job, I'll hang you spread eagle from the ceiling.
  • Coming from out of town to Manhattan's glamorous world. I didn't come as far as Andy Sachs [in the film, she's from Cincinnati] but I did come from New Jersey, and definitely had the same naivete about fashion--and the mind frame that magazines would really care about my hard work on the college newspaper.
  • The movie's beautiful, beautiful love letter to NYC--via scenes in Central Park, on the museum steps, in Times Square.
  • Having to mind my moral compass in the face of some powerful people without one.
  • Working with colorful, outspoken, brilliant editors who had so much knowledge under their designer belts.
Oh my God, this movie is so delicious. I applaud Lauren Weisberger for writing the book; I know she went out on a risky limb to do it.

Going to bed now. Good night.

*When Figgy was little, she adored The Princess Diaries, starring Anne Hathaway. She watched the video a gazillion times. So when H. read in the New York Times that the actress was starring in Carousel, we took Figgy. It was a cold, rainy Sunday and we waited by the stage door after the show so Figgy could get her autograph. The actress was so gracious to her, inviting her in and signing the Playbill. 

7 comments:

  1. I love this movie, too... and I always watch it whenever I am flipping through channels and it happens to be on. Anne Hathaway is adorable in it. And how about that Marc Jacobs handbag that she gives away to her friend? (I would latch on to that scene.) "That is all." Love, Lin
    P.S. It's so nice that Figgy got her autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice! You and our young'n days were so present for me when I first saw this film. As tough and as frustrating as some of our experiences were, I'm so grateful that we got that inside view into such a powerful world. It truly affected the courses of our lives. And, hey, we got a long-lasting friendship out of it ;-) Just think, we weren't that much older than our daughters when we met...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lin...yes, that scene where she gives the Marc Jacobs bag to her friend is just so delightful and delicious. that's all.
    Hi Kim....i know, we are so lucky we had that view as young women. i wouldn't trade it, though it definitely had its rough spots...i can't believe how long we have known each other...amazing ;) alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice,this is AP writing on your blog for the first time.Loved the movie also but most of all I so enjoy reading your thoughts and writings.Somehow I feel aconnection to you as your Mom and my husband were godparents to Judy and I remember her christening day so well,we all had a great day together.Speaking of movies how about All About Eve one of my all time favorites evertime I watch and listen something new comes across.

    Have a great time in NYC,my most favorite of cities.
    Ann P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ann! I know you are Linda's aunt, and I always love to read your comments on her blog. It's so special that you comment there. Thank you so much for reading my blog. I loved it when you wrote a comment on Linda's blog about meeting my mom at Alexander's and I was with her as a little girl. I had a very hard time losing my mom--I guess everyone does when they lose their mom. I didn't know she was godparent to Judi with your husband--that is nice. I remember your husband from Linda and Joe's wedding and he was good-looking in a striking way. For some reason, I don't remember meeting you. I don't know if I've seen All About Eve but have heard of it and I will look into it. I love it when Linda talks about how fashionable you are. Please send my best to your husband. Did you live in NYC?/ thank you, Ann. sincerely, alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that movie, too! The magazine world was *nothing* like I thought it would be, and I think I turned out to be a wire service girl at heart, but I am SO GRATEFUL I had the experiences I did. I was in NYC in October, and walked past the Hearst building for the first time in years, and got a total thrill.

    And, I love your Anne Hathaway story! I'm so glad she was nice to Figgy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eileen...i will always remember H. saying that you reminded him of a young Mary Tyler Moore...yes, I remember you liked the wire service, so cool. i hope all is well. love alice

    ReplyDelete