Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

She Is a Closed Book

Oy, what was I thinking? That putting a teen in a car and driving 300 miles would somehow instantly change things, put a rosy, rainbow glow on our communications or lack thereof? There were some sweet moments [Your necklace is pretty, she even said at a rest stop] but a prevailing grumpiness/moodiness aimed at me and even the fluffball. It didn't help that it was dark, and we couldn't see the lovely scenery. Figgy slept most of the ride, but I was glad she was cuddled up under the fuzzy striped blanket I remembered to bring for precisely that reason.

Ha ha...so she does still need me for something. I still can anticipate her needs and what brings her comfort. That's one point for me. One weak, wobbly, lonely little point. But a point just the same. And that's a start.

There's still time, of course. It's rainy in Vermont but the weather should clear maybe Saturday. I had to get a caffeinated latte at a rest-stop Starbucks to stay awake at about 9 P.M. but then was sleepless til 2 A.M. [fortunately, had new issue of Vanity Fair with cover story about Marilyn Monroe's diaries].

Figgy is really excited [souped is her word] about National Novel Writing Month. It started November 1 and she dove right in at midnight on Halloween. She brought her Mac computer up here--but found out this morning that she forgot one of the cords. That sent her back to bed, deflated. But Meg says we can use her Mac.

She has over 5,000 words already and you need to write a novel of 50,000 words by month's end. She wanted me to do it too, but I didn't. Probably should have. Here's the link: http://www.nanowrimo.org/.

I told her that she can just pick up where she left off and then if necessary, email the text back to herself to paste into her file. I know she must be very disappointed.

Still, I miss my little rumpled redhead. Meg's husband Greg retired early and has two grown kids. He's been sharing some good perspectives on teens with me. Love is where you find it; wisdom is where you find it. In a living room in a lovely Burlington condo on a rainy Thursday morning. When Meggy gets back from work at 2ish, we're heading out for fun.

More to come. As of now, I've added a new post label: teenhood. God knows it deserves a fat file of its own. At least in my book.

4 comments:

  1. "Love is where you find it; wisdom is where you find it."

    Amen, sister.

    "'I've added a new post label: teenhood. God knows it deserves a fat file of its own."

    Amen, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few people that I know stay close to their teens. I don't know how they do it...it seems strange to me. Teens pushing us a away is the norm. There's nothing wrong even though it hurts. Whatever she was before she turned teen is still in there. You'll see. I've been there, as you well know.

    Plus... how proud of her are you that she is participating in that novel writing competition? Wow!

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim and Lin , thank you for your support and your notes. it's a road with no map for me, but i'm hugging it, hugging the curves. love alice
    and yes, i am very proud of our Figgy for doing the novel writing challenge. she is awesome. i have to remember that. they all have their awesome angles, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Awesome. Sometimes when you need it most.

    ReplyDelete